Discuss Ring Fused Spurs and overload protection (433.1.204) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Just a quick question from a new qualified sparky.

So in 433.1.204 when it says the Iz of the cable must not be less than 20A for a ring final circuit.
Does this include a radial fused spur taken off the ring final?

If you install it in 2.5mm in trunking then the Iz is immediately down to 20A even before you add in any other factors. (I will be installing this in trunking with a 1.5mm lighting cable, so it will be less)

Will I have to install using a 4mm cable, or seeing as the spurred part of the circuit is protected by a 13a fuse, does that then comply with 433.1.1? (Treat it as a radial, not a ring from that point on?)

Last edited:
if you're fitting a 13A FCU, your 1.5mm spur will be compliant. fit as many sockets as you want (within reason).
Thanks Telectrix, I think you got back to me 1st the last time I asked a question...and it was the most helpful answer!

The spurs going to be in 2.5mm, but it's sharing the trunking with a separate light circuit.
I was thinking it would be close with the correction factors and 4mm seemed a bit OTT!

Sadly they only want one socket, but it's all practice!

Thanks again.

Just a quick question from a new qualified sparky.

So in 433.1.204 when it says the Iz of the cable must not be less than 20A for a ring final circuit.
Does this include a radial fused spur taken off the ring final?

If you install it in 2.5mm in trunking then the Iz is immediately down to 20A even before you add in any other factors. (I will be installing this in trunking with a 1.5mm lighting cable, so it will be less)

Will I have to install using a 4mm cable, or seeing as the spurred part of the circuit is protected by a 13a fuse, does that then comply with 433.1.1? (Treat it as a radial, not a ring from that point on?)
Hi Steve. How are you getting 20A Iz for 2.5mm in trunking? Should be 23A, ref method B.

As @telectrix says, 1.5mm will generally comply for a fused spur from a ring. Have a look at P505 in your regs book and reference it with chapter 7 OSG for more info.

If you look at page 409 of the BBB then it states '(enclosed in conduit in an insulated wall)' which is Method A for 20A
As @Pretty Mouth has said, should be 23A.

Also if you look at Note 9 of Table 4C1 it states 'If, due to known operating conditions, a cable is expected to carry not more than 30 % of its grouped rating, it may be ignored for the purpose of obtaining the rating factor for the rest of the group.'

Hi Steve. How are you getting 20A Iz for 2.5mm in trunking? Should be 23A, ref method B.

As @telectrix says, 1.5mm will generally comply for a fused spur from a ring. Have a look at P505 in your regs book and reference it with chapter 7 OSG for more info
Yes, you're completely right. I was looking at Ref Method A. I think I've been at this too long without a break!

I was running it in 2.5mm T&E as it was going to run through a wall and back entry into an outside socket for the garden.

I can't believe I was looking at page 505 earlier too.

Many thanks for your help. Glad I'm getting this right now at the design stage rather than having to go back and change something!

Where did you find the ref meth B for T&E, can't find it the regs or OSG?

If you look at page 409 of the BBB then it states '(enclosed in conduit in an insulated wall)' which is Method A for 20A
As @Pretty Mouth has said, should be 23A.

Also if you look at Note 9 of Table 4C1 it states 'If, due to known operating conditions, a cable is expected to carry not more than 30 % of its grouped rating, it may be ignored for the purpose of obtaining the rating factor for the rest of the group.'
Yes I must have seen conduit and jumped to conclusions, I was looking at Ref Meth A.

Well that makes it a lot more achievable! I was even considering thermosetting for a moment.

Great tip about 4C1 too, I'm going to do my cable calculations tomorrow now (got caught up on this!) so I'll prove that too.

I want to do this job as thoroughly as possible as its going to be a back up to get registered.

Thanks for the advice, Spoon (and everyone else!), much appreciated!

Yes, you're completely right. I was looking at Ref Method A. I think I've been at this too long without a break!

I was running it in 2.5mm T&E as it was going to run through a wall and back entry into an outside socket for the garden.

I can't believe I was looking at page 505 earlier too.

Many thanks for your help. Glad I'm getting this right now at the design stage rather than having to go back and change something!

Where did you find the ref meth B for T&E, can't find it the regs or OSG?
P158 of the OSG, or table 4D2A p403 BBB. It's the table for multicore cables.

See what the other guys think, but i normally fit a dp switch inside to completely isolate, but with a SFCU, they have the option to extend from that one socket to another
I hadn't thought about a DP isolator. Originally they were going to put power out to a small summer house, so would have done, but they changed their minds. (Shame i was looking forward to putting an earth rod in!)
I can put one in if necessary and a switched FCU would be better for future proofing, good idea.
Thanks again!

Cable grouping derating sometimes needs a bit of common sense factored in. An almost unloaded cable, such as a lighting feed with only a couple of lights further on probably takes heat from your loaded power cable, actually increasing its load capacity if anything, rather than decreasing it.

you won'tfind a ref. method B for T/E in conduit as the regs were written assuming that conduit was used only for singles.

Cable grouping derating sometimes needs a bit of common sense factored in. An almost unloaded cable, such as a lighting feed with only a couple of lights further on probably takes heat from your loaded power cable, actually increasing its load capacity if anything, rather than decreasing it.
Brian. Glad to see you have had a change of heart about the role "common sense" can play in electrics ?

I like your comment by the way. And fully agree that there are other factors which can influence decreasing or increasing cable carrying capacity. For instance the Op is talking about installing trunking in his garage rather than indoors in the utility or kitchen. A garage could well be 10 to 15 degrees cooler than indoors which has a direct impact on cable rating.Its like comparing an insulated attic to an uninsulated one.

Reply to Ring Fused Spurs and overload protection (433.1.204) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock