Discuss Ring Lighting Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi People, Interesting one today, friend wanted me to do check on 2 Circuits of his extension.
And he said LBC told him they would be happy to have PIR/EICR Considering it was 16th when he extended.
He done work 5 years ago ! which i thought was a odd thing for LBC to say, but they still asking him for it.

I clearly stated there no way he would get any other cert other than that .

anyway what he didnt tell me was he basically extended exsiting Ground floor Final Ring and Ground floor light circuit to his extension

1st i check out Lighting and he as 60! Lights in total on 1mm T&E all most down Lights max 50w each and few wall lights max 50 lamps.

But here's the bit, the lighting on a ring. 1mm T&E 10amp MCB RCD protected

End to end test showed was a ring and he was aware it was too . And in all fairness readings were sound.

WHole lot of non accessable JB's so would not be able to test many of points as earth stops at JB's.
fittings not require earth but still cant get to jb;s, there are other points around house switches/wall lights i could test.

But what im concerned about is how i go about recording this? As its a ring would i Still carry out final ring procedure.

Any thoughts.

Also got Final ring 2.5mm T&E with 60 points, biggest load is washing machine & underfloor heating , no ovens or showers. Its within 100msq. Say if test results are fine, any thoughts as too codes/recommendations on this. I mean i know its know to be unlimted but 60?

Hope You All well and good !

Hi People, Interesting one today, friend wanted me to do check on 2 Circuits of his extension.
And he said LBC told him they would be happy to have PIR/EICR Considering it was 16th when he extended.
He done work 5 years ago ! which i thought was a odd thing for LBC to say, but they still asking him for it.

I clearly stated there no way he would get any other cert other than that .

anyway what he didnt tell me was he basically extended exsiting Ground floor Final Ring and Ground floor light circuit to his extension

1st i check out Lighting and he as 60! Lights in total on 1mm T&E all most down Lights max 50w each and few wall lights max 50 lamps.

But here's the bit, the lighting on a ring. 1mm T&E 10amp MCB RCD protected

End to end test showed was a ring and he was aware it was too . And in all fairness readings were sound.

WHole lot of non accessable JB's so would not be able to test many of points as earth stops at JB's.
fittings not require earth but still cant get to jb;s, there are other points around house switches/wall lights i could test.

But what im concerned about is how i go about recording this? As its a ring would i Still carry out final ring procedure.

Any thoughts.

Also got Final ring 2.5mm T&E with 60 points, biggest load is washing machine & underfloor heating , no ovens or showers. Its within 100msq. Say if test results are fine, any thoughts as too codes/recommendations on this. I mean i know its know to be unlimted but 60?

Hope You All well and good !

Yes as its a ring you would simply need to carry out ring final test procedures on it. Its not normal now in domestic but i don't think their is anything in the BGB precluding it (i may be wrong)
Note all the non accessible JB;s on the EICR

With the ring final, points are unlimited and tests are fine, then nothing to note

Last edited:
Lighting on a ring was quite common at one time, to be honest I’d still do it that way if I were to rewire a house. OK the last house I wired was to the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] or 15[SUP]th[/SUP] I can’t remember, but it was a good way of doing things. As for your earthing situation, that I can’t understand. Even back in the days of old (and knights were bold), the cost of twin against T+E was negligible. I can’t see why anyone would hamstring themselves for the future, all for the sake of a few bob on cable prices. Junction boxes were the norm. Not good, but it was quite normal. I would avoid them if I could, and make them accessible if I couldn’t.

As to reporting, as has been said give the figures you’ve got for the ring. Things can’t be condemned because it not up to the 17[SUP]th[/SUP], I’m also not saying that is what you’re wanting to do.

Sometimes things were better in the past.

Lighting on a ring was quite common at one time, to be honest I’d still do it that way if I were to rewire a house. OK the last house I wired was to the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] or 15[SUP]th[/SUP] I can’t remember, but it was a good way of doing things. As for your earthing situation, that I can’t understand. Even back in the days of old (and knights were bold), the cost of twin against T+E was negligible. I can’t see why anyone would hamstring themselves for the future, all for the sake of a few bob on cable prices. Junction boxes were the norm. Not good, but it was quite normal. I would avoid them if I could, and make them accessible if I couldn’t.

As to reporting, as has been said give the figures you’ve got for the ring. Things can’t be condemned because it not up to the 17[SUP]th[/SUP], I’m also not saying that is what you’re wanting to do.

Yeah i certainly felt that this was not just a bodge, the test results i took were sound and the work was very neat ( apart from fuse board cable management) :0) I felt there was nothing to condem But wanted to get a point of view from KNights of the past. hehehehehehe . I understand that just because its not 17th dont mean its not safe n sound.

The earthing , well the jb's had been fixed to joists out of reach from holes. earth is connected and good path, fittings just had two terminals so the prev sparks just come down to fiiting in 2 core, fair enough. just access. but back then the focuss werent so much on access from what i ve seen around....

thanks for thought s guys really helped.

exactly the point i keep making Tony...

like when you go to survay remedials....a quick indraw of breath with a shake of the head and a `hmm, well it just wont be easy love`....lol..

The broomstick lay between two trestles. Granny Weatherwax sat on a rock outcrop while a dwarf half her height, wearing an apron that was a mass of pockets, walked around the broom and occasionally poked it.
Eventually he kicked the bristles and gave a long intake of breath, a sort of reverse whistle, which is the secret sign of craftsmen across the universe and means that something expensive is about to happen.
"Weellll," he said. "I could get the apprentices in to look at this, I could. It's an education in itself. And you say it actually managed to get airborne?"
"It flew like a bird," said Granny.
The dwarf lit a pipe. "I should very much like to see that bird," he said reflectively. "I should imagine it's quite something to watch, a bird like that."
"Yes, but can you repair it?" said Granny. "I'm in a hurry."
The dwarf sat down, slowly and deliberately.
"As for repair," he said, "well, I don't know about repair. Rebuild, maybe. Of course, it's hard to get the bristles these days even if you can find people to do the proper binding, and the spells need -"
"I don't want it rebuilt, I just want it to work properly," said Granny.
"It's an early model, you see," the dwarf plugged on. "Very tricky, those early models. You can't get the wood -"
He was picked up bodily until his eyes were level with Granny's. Dwarves, being magical in themselves as it were, are quite resistant to magic but her expression looked as though she was trying to weld his eyeballs to the back of his skull.
"Just repair it," she hissed. "Please?"
"What, make a bodge job?" said the dwarf, his pipe clattering to the floor.
"Yes."
"Patch it up, you mean? Betray my training by doing half a job?"
"Yes," said Granny. Her pupils were two little black holes.
"Oh," said the dwarf. "Right, then."

The broomstick lay between two trestles. Granny Weatherwax sat on a rock outcrop while a dwarf half her height, wearing an apron that was a mass of pockets, walked around the broom and occasionally poked it.
Eventually he kicked the bristles and gave a long intake of breath, a sort of reverse whistle, which is the secret sign of craftsmen across the universe and means that something expensive is about to happen.
"Weellll," he said. "I could get the apprentices in to look at this, I could. It's an education in itself. And you say it actually managed to get airborne?"
"It flew like a bird," said Granny.
The dwarf lit a pipe. "I should very much like to see that bird," he said reflectively. "I should imagine it's quite something to watch, a bird like that."
"Yes, but can you repair it?" said Granny. "I'm in a hurry."
The dwarf sat down, slowly and deliberately.
"As for repair," he said, "well, I don't know about repair. Rebuild, maybe. Of course, it's hard to get the bristles these days even if you can find people to do the proper binding, and the spells need -"
"I don't want it rebuilt, I just want it to work properly," said Granny.
"It's an early model, you see," the dwarf plugged on. "Very tricky, those early models. You can't get the wood -"
He was picked up bodily until his eyes were level with Granny's. Dwarves, being magical in themselves as it were, are quite resistant to magic but her expression looked as though she was trying to weld his eyeballs to the back of his skull.
"Just repair it," she hissed. "Please?"
"What, make a bodge job?" said the dwarf, his pipe clattering to the floor.
"Yes."
"Patch it up, you mean? Betray my training by doing half a job?"
"Yes," said Granny. Her pupils were two little black holes.
"Oh," said the dwarf. "Right, then."
in time honoured tradition...lol..
just `keeping up appearances` said hyacinth

Reply to Ring Lighting Circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net