Discuss Ring main become 2 radials in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Naz

-
Reaction score
Electrical ring circuit

The electricalian came and did the second fix. But we werent sure if all the wires had been bought through the plaster board.

All the sockets work, but we wanted to make sure there are no wires hiding in the walls.. we tested by disconnecting one of the 2 lives going into the fuse.. when we did this we tested the 11 sockets ..they all worked except the one just as you walk in the LR.. when we switch the lives at the fuse, the one in the LR room now works but the other 10 stops working.. this tells us that we have again unintensionally created two radial circuits both ending with an exposed live wire in the wall somewhere...1 radial has 1 socket .. and the other radial has the other 10.. and we have a break between socket 10 and 11.. any suggestions how to resolve?

Is it be to remove the outgoing cable in the single radial.. and then find where the rouge outgoing wire is in the other 10 sockets..

Its not the done thing to perform tests by switching the power on and seeing what becomes live,then disconnecting and seeing what becomes dead
Testing can and should be done prior to energising a circuit

If you are a electrician you will know this
If you are not then its best to bite the bullet and find one

No as we he has not finished the job.. shower needs to be installed and water heater..

I asked him to get the lights and siockets working..then come back when the bathroom is tiles..

He is newly qualified.

He said to turn the ring off for now while he thinks about how to go about it.

Electrical ring circuit

The electricalian came and did the second fix. But we werent sure if all the wires had been bought through the plaster board.

All the sockets work, but we wanted to make sure there are no wires hiding in the walls.. we tested by disconnecting one of the 2 lives going into the fuse.. when we did this we tested the 11 sockets ..they all worked except the one just as you walk in the LR.. when we switch the lives at the fuse, the one in the LR room now works but the other 10 stops working.. this tells us that we have again unintensionally created two radial circuits both ending with an exposed live wire in the wall somewhere...1 radial has 1 socket .. and the other radial has the other 10.. and we have a break between socket 10 and 11.. any suggestions how to resolve?

Is it be to remove the outgoing cable in the single radial.. and then find where the rouge outgoing wire is in the other 10 sockets..

So why have you given me an “old” ?

Very odd

Des - yes im happy to let an electrician do it. Its a garden annex and i will need a certificate for the council anyway so no getting away from that.

The electrician i have in literially qualified 2 months ago.

He charges by the hour so just trying to get views on how best he should go about it. The electrician that did the first fix cut the 2.5 at the location of the sockets. Then when the plaster board was put on care was not taken to bring all the wires through.. and now ive forgotten where i asked for all the sockets to be.. forst fix was done in may

one word .chancer.

Mikefred

Your comments about a loose live.

The issue is i think there os a socket 12 and maybe even 13 behond the walls with the 2.5 ready to be put into the sockets

The sockets only work as i believe it has stopped being a ring corcuit and become 2 radials with 2 lives at the end..somewhere in the walls

Mikefred

Your comments about a loose live.

The issue is i think there os a socket 12 and maybe even 13 behond the walls with the 2.5 ready to be put into the sockets

The sockets only work as i believe it has stopped being a ring corcuit and become 2 radials with 2 lives at the end..somewhere in the walls

Reply to Ring main become 2 radials in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net