Discuss Ring Main Continuity Test Help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

clegg333

Hey I Was Wondering If Anyone Has Any Diagrams To Help Me Understand And Conduct The Test It Would Be Much Appriceated Thanks
P.S Sorry About The Bad Spelling And Grammer :p

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, try and be specific and we can tell you exactly, but really, as the guys said, its laid down in clear step by step stages in the OSG and GN3

breaker off socket taken off 3 continuity tests L - N - E respectively breaker on earth loop ;)

Adam do you not cross connect L-N, and then L-E to get your R1+R2, like what the book says?:rolleyes:

and what about your IR tests

oh, and I like the contravention of the EAWR's with your earth loop, nice touch;)

Well Im On The 2330 And Yesterday We Were Told We Needed To Learn How To Do The Test Because They Didnt Want Us Going In To Next Year Not Know It. We Were Given A Run Through On How To Do It But Alot Of Us Failed To Understand The Diagrams Were Confusing And He Completely Lost Me With The R1,N1 ect... Was Just Wondering If You Guys Could Explain Better.

Hi I am doing the 2330 level 2 and we have to check our ring circuits by :
first before connecting to the consumer unit we cross connect lives to earths then using a socket tester and meter check continuity between all the live and earth terminals and record them ( R1+R2) then disconect the cross over conections (L&E). we then have to do insulation tests at 500v across L and E, L and N and N and E.

From what I remember (sure if I am wrong someone will tell me)
Paul

Hi Clegg
Have you got the NICEIC Inspection, Testing and Certification book (£25) - very useful for testing and recording results?

Pages 224 to 227 attached http://aquae-vitae-electrical.com/htdocs/images/ContinuityTesting.pdf

This is dead testing - so main switch off - no just MCB

What you are trying to do is find resistance of the ring Live (phase), the ring Neutral and the ring CPC (ratio of 1:1:1.67 approx).

Then make a figure of 8 by cross-joining ring Live and Neutral at CU - this result is approx half R1 or RN.
Now do same with ring Live and ring CPC and test at various sockets in ring circuit (no need to remove accessories. As you can see from STep 4 you will get (R1 + R2)/4. This also confirms dead polarity.

good luck

Hi Clegg
Have you got the NICEIC Inspection, Testing and Certification book (£25) - very useful for testing and recording results?

Pages 224 to 227 attached http://aquae-vitae-electrical.com/htdocs/images/ContinuityTesting.pdf

This is dead testing - so main switch off - no just MCB

What you are trying to do is find resistance of the ring Live (phase), the ring Neutral and the ring CPC (ratio of 1:1:1.67 approx).

Then make a figure of 8 by cross-joining ring Live and Neutral at CU - this result is approx half R1 or RN.
Now do same with ring Live and ring CPC and test at various sockets in ring circuit (no need to remove accessories. As you can see from STep 4 you will get (R1 + R2)/4. This also confirms dead polarity.

good luck

Malc, maybe a typo

r1+r2 / 4 = R1+R2

where r1 = line loop resistance
r2 = cpc loop resistance

hey luke wasnt "if u build it they wil come" off a very old film? something about building a baseball field wi kevin costner????? cant remember what its called tho!!!!!

wel guys i have my402 exam in 6 wks n although the pysical side of it (installation of consumer unit, light 2x 2way switches, intermediate switch and 4 dbl ac outlets) isnt a problem im somewhat concerned about the working out of voltage drops across the system!!!!!! anyone any advice please??????

Last edited by a moderator:
Got kitchers book , cant recommend enough pics are great calcs great dragged me kicking and screaming through my 2391-10 (at night school)

Reply to Ring Main Continuity Test Help in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock