Discuss Ring main fault located during periodic in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nickblake

A little while ago i put a post on a thread regarding a periodic i carried out on a small bungalow where there was no continuity on all three conductors of the ring and testing showed a very high Zs reading 2.64 althought the insulation was ok , well today ive been back to the property to investigate , so i split the ring into 2 at the CDU ,it appeared to be radials during the testing but i had one of them feelings you know the ones , so started off doing an R1R2 from the CDU around the ring so first socket 0.27 great then increased up to 0.47 then went to 1.34 , removed socket and found some loose connections then after that nothing , so started on the other leg at the CDU working round till nothing so it was up in the loft followed cables round you could see the ring , found a JB which i will add was wired put it this way diffrently ring added for a utility room joined together off the ring wires split up added 2 new legs installed new circuit for utility easy job as good accesss to CDU , still no cont inuity so it was go round eaach leg feeling the cable all appeared to be ok till i got to one of the open circuit sockets and it just pulled up choped in half , half way up the wall it went to an unused socket so cut out the other leg joined with a jb re tested and 0.51 0.51 .074 .0.24 /200 200 200 . 0.68 Zs all i can say is happy days found the fault and all ok yipeee:D

Good result mate.... how long did that take then ?

Had one this week, whole house wired on one ring up and down furniture everywhere. 18 sockets great !! R1 ok, R2 ok, Rn sky high..

Luckily first socket I take off neutral falls out, what are the chances of that:)

Not that long about an hour , over the years you get used to fault finding but i didnt expect to find a cable cut in half in the capping half way up a wall just pulled it out from the loft it was a resault only thing visable was a small lump on the wall no bigger than a finger nail but carying out the R1 + R2 tests at each socket realy speeds things up

Last edited by a moderator:
Good result mate.... how long did that take then ?

Had one this week, whole house wired on one ring up and down furniture everywhere. 18 sockets great !! R1 ok, R2 ok, Rn sky high..

Luckily first socket I take off neutral falls out, what are the chances of that:)

1 million to one its always the last one for me lol

I had one a few weeks ago... One of those days, finish early friday and off for a nice pint down the local. What turned out to be simple, took me a bloody day... However in saying that the fault was found, I managed to contort myself and pat myself on the back for a good find and finally got that drink at the pub, ableit a day later lol :)

was it on Angelsey Nick?, strange capers go on there!, went to see my sisters "new" house on Monday in Holyhead ...Cooker circuit wired in 4mm then spured off the cooker switch was a 2.5mm which went through the outside wall then washing line style across a 5m gap and into the garage where it feeds two 2gang socket outlets and a strip lamp...full rewire needed anyway...lights in original rubber two core, no earth, and a 30amp rewirable service fuse still in place

Reply to Ring main fault located during periodic in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net