Discuss Ring Main Fault in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

IRB

When I turn a load on on the ring main it trips the rcd, is this due to there being a fault between neutral and cpc?

Most likely, an imballance between Neutral and CPC or live and CPC causes an RCD to trip. is it any load?
beware Most people make the mistake of blaming the item they switch on that caused the trip as the appliance with the fault, but you can have a fault on something not causing a tripping problem if your not drawing any load on the circuit.
Eg.. switch the kettle on and the load is pulled through the kettle and the faulty appliance. even though the kettle hasnt got a fault it causes a trip.
try switching off and unplugging everything on the rcd side, then add one item like a kettle that draws a load.
if it doesnt trip then youve removed the fault.
if after that it still trips you could have cable damage or the like..

edited this so many times, it still reads like word salard

and YAY 100 posts :)

Last edited by a moderator:
its a new ring, i've tried 2 appliances and both trip the rcd, so i think the plasterers might have caught a cable with a screw or such like

Although I like what edd says, have you done any R1+R2 testing or IR testing? Remove the loads and start from the beginning, a very good place to start. (why do I feel like that a Julie Andrews moment may begin again?).

paul's got the right idea,, I think its a test gear out the van type job!! doe ray me,,,, dam dont start that again!!!

Start from the beginning.

Disconnect the circuit from the CU.
Ensure ALL appliances are unplugged (including those bloody god awful air fresheners).
Ensure any fused spurs are disconnected.

Carry out a continuity test.
Carry out the full ring continuity procedure as per GN3 or the OSG whichever you have.
Carry out an Insulation Resistance test.

One of those test procedures WILL show up the problem, whatever that problem may be with the wiring if there is one.

If you find no fault then the problem must be with an appliance. Try to scrounge a PAT Tester that will do an earth leakage test, if you test something that is in excess of 30mA, job done. Or if you get an accumulation of earth leakage from more than one appliance in excess of 30mA, then you are sorted.

Cheers..........Howard

PS you haven't done owt daft like putting your neutrals into different neutral bars in the CU have you? I've been there and done that!

does the RCD trip on all socket outlets, or just 1 of them? could be a N/E reversal.

continuity ofring final circuit conductors, insulation resistance, rcd ramp test, the split ring, ps how would you go about splitting the ring,

do you cross connect the wrong ends then it goes up then down when you get to centre of ring, i am good or have you easier way like abrakadaabra

how would you go about splitting the ring,

​could be painful

i agree with all whats been said before , get your meter out stick it on ohms check between N and E and see if you get a reading if you do thenuse a plug top lead connect your neutral to the live input of your meter (if you can) and test at each socket till you get the lowest reading bet you thats where the fault is sounds like a trapped neutral if not them its as tel has said split the ring up and trace the fault then carry out all tyhe tests as sirkit has said (said that to save me writing them all out again)

its a new ring, i've tried 2 appliances and both trip the rcd, so i think the plasterers might have caught a cable with a screw or such like
Give it a couple of days for the plaster to dry, who knows your RCD will be happy after that. Being a bit optimistic here, LOL!

so look for a screw thats been put in with a hammer.

Reply to Ring Main Fault in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net