Discuss Ring main keeps tripping. Is the trip switch knackered? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I

i_am_kingjonny

Now then, oh beautiful people who know more about electricity than me.

Here's my problem.

The mains for the down stairs sockets is tripping the mains earth trip. The consumer unit isn't tripping. On the dwnsocks ring (which has tripped a million times in it's life) there are 5 double outlets. One of which powers both 13A hob and 13A oven. The bloke who wired them said this was fine and he had all sorts of qualifications so I believed him, with sceptism. One of the hob rings cause a trip (on the mains again) last week (to the very bleeding day) and we isolated which ring was causing it, removing the hob knob so we didn't turn it on. We think some water got in cause I didn't seal it proppa.

Here's what I think happened.

The trip switch (I don't know what rating it is) is very old and has basically past it's life...do they do this? I don't know? I think when the hob tripped it last week it pushed it past the brink where it was clinging on for dear life. See the thing is, this happened when both me and brooks were asleep, and the only thing the cats may have done (I've check possibilities) is wee on a junction box, but I don't think they have. I think the trip switch has just died.

Here's what action I think should be taken.

Replace the trip switch with one of high enough rating that it can accept the load placed upon it.

What I need to know before I get some bloke in to fix it, is does this scenario make sense?!

I've been told that hob n oven should be on a separate circuit, so this I'll take action for...but in the mean time do I just have to accept I've no downstairs power till I win the lottery?!

Hi King jonny
Have you had any work done recently? put any nails in walls recently? Check that sockets near kettles which are left to steam away (damp) RCD too sensitve!
Best get someone in to check this out
T&E

You need the circuit in question testing properly, using the correct test equipment. Best get someone in, the mcb is tripping for a reason. Replacing it for a higher rated one like you say above is not a good idea without looking at the whole circuit. Remember, the MCB is there to protect the cable, increasing the rating without checking the cable could potentially cause more problems.

think the OP means it's tripping the RCD. definitely a job for a quqlified spark. if kingjonny posts his location, there may be one of us near enough to help out.

Black Iron heating elements are renowned for tripping RCD due to earth leakage.
The elements themselves absorb moisture from the atmosphere when not in use.
Normally, the moisture evaporates when the element heats up.
If too much moisture is absorbed, the element can be damaged by the water exploding into steam.
Best bet, is to have a separate non-RCD circuit installed for the cooker, or change the cooker to a Halogen type.
Yes it may be possible that the RCD is tired, and needs replacing.
Only a Ramp test would be able to prove this though.

OP has posted his location and he seems to understand his abilities and limits he is one of the few I hope there are some members near by him can be of assistance Im no use at dirctions but even I think Leeds is a tad far from glasgow for me

@ I am king jonny. I'll come around and sort this out for you, doesn't sound as bad as you think.

I've sent you a pm (private message) with my number. Give me a call if you want this sorted out. Ps a pint in the Hyde Park pub wouldn't go a miss :).

@ I am king jonny. I'll come around and sort this out for you, doesn't sound as bad as you think.

I've sent you a pm (private message) with my number. Give me a call if you want this sorted out. Ps a pint in the Hyde Park pub wouldn't go a miss :).

Stop that man he's a plumber!! lol

Reply to Ring main keeps tripping. Is the trip switch knackered? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock