Discuss Ring main no continuity on live ends in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, Im a bit puzzled, recently did a new kitchen install with complete new wiring from the cu, this included a kitchen ring, upon testing I have continuity on the n to n end amd cpc to cpc but no continuity on the live ends, Insulation resistance checks out fine on investigation using the half test method, so im confused to as why this is?

If there’s no continuity, you’ve got a split ring somewhere mate.

Can you explain what the half test method is? If you have any fcu’s on the ring final you might have one of the lives in the output side accidentally

Can you explain what the half test method is? If you have any fcu’s on the ring final you might have one of the lives in the output side accidentally
Hi all thanks for the quick responses, ive taken all faces off to check the connections which is all fine, its a small kitchen diner with only 6 sockets and a FCU, so I know the cable routes, ive split the ring at the mid point and checked IR which checks out fine, I didnt have time to do a full check, im just wondering if the next best thing is to disconnect both legs at the board, connect the line to the earth of one leg and check for continuity at the sockets themselves, then eliminate the issue by repeating the method of halfing the circuit.

Hi all thanks for the quick responses, ive taken all faces off to check the connections which is all fine, its a small kitchen diner with only 6 sockets and a FCU, so I know the cable routes, ive split the ring at the mid point and checked IR which checks out fine, I didnt have time to do a full check, im just wondering if the next best thing is to disconnect both legs at the board, connect the line to the earth of one leg and check for continuity at the sockets themselves, then eliminate the issue by repeating the method of halfing the circuit.
Did you first fix before the Kev turned up?

I don’t know why you bothering with IR tests. An IR test on a complete open circuit is going to give ok results.

You have a Continuity problem.
I have had lengths of cable with breaks in the copper inside the insulation.
it’s a standard process - split the circuit and narrow it down. Have fun!

Would it not be easier to use a wander lead, connect to one leg of the line at the CU and test for continuity on the line at the backs of all accessible points until you find the break in continuity?

I don’t know why you bothering with IR tests. An IR test on a complete open circuit is going to give ok results.

You have a Continuity problem.
I have had lengths of cable with breaks in the copper inside the insulation.
it’s a standard process - split the circuit and narrow it down. Have fun!
That is true now I come to think of it ?
[automerge]1574626049[/automerge]
Would it not be easier to use a wander lead, connect to one leg of the line at the CU and test for continuity on the line at the backs of all accessible points until you find the break in continuity?
Normally I would use this method but due to the distance of the run i cant unfortunately.

disconnect both legs at the board, connect the line to the earth of one leg and check for continuity at the sockets themselves
I would do this. I wouldn't bother splitting the circuit. You installed it so you know the route it takes, follow one leg out, testing at each socket as you go. I'd use my R2 adaptor to speed things up.

I would do this. I wouldn't bother splitting the circuit. You installed it so you know the route it takes, follow one leg out, testing at each socket as you go. I'd use my R2 adaptor to speed things up.
Due to the run of the cable from the cu to the kitchen is restricts me from the r2 method so I was thinking if I connect the line to earth at the db of leg 1 at the board and then use my multifucntion tester with the plug attachment at each socket this should narrow the problem down?

Yes. Connect one leg to earth at the cu, disconnect the other leg too.
you can then do continuity tests between earth and line at each socket etc.
Blimey, don’t they teach people this basic stuff anymore?
(sorry, not having a go at you,specifically. )

Yes. Connect one leg to earth at the cu, disconnect the other leg too.
you can then do continuity tests between earth and line at each socket etc.
Blimey, don’t they teach people this basic stuff anymore?
(sorry, not having a go at you,specifically. )
No I totally agree mate, during my apprenticeship I never really came across any fault finding so I have a little experience, also in college we never really went into depth on it so Its the things like this they need to teach more at college, I know you get more from the actual on site experience but if you dont come across it then its not something you will know but I get what youre saying.
[automerge]1574627672[/automerge]
No I totally agree mate, during my apprenticeship I never really came across any fault finding so I have a little experience, also in college we never really went into depth on it so Its the things like this they need to teach more at college, I know you get more from the actual on site experience but if you dont come across it then its not something you will know but I get what youre saying. Cheers for the reply, appreciate it

Due to the run of the cable from the cu to the kitchen is restricts me from the r2 method so I was thinking if I connect the line to earth at the db of leg 1 at the board and then use my multifucntion tester with the plug attachment at each socket this should narrow the problem down?
Yeah, that's what I meant. This is the R2 adaptor, it'll save you taking off the sockets:

[automerge]1574629153[/automerge]
Plug adaptor = R2 adaptor, same thing

Yeah, that's what I meant. This is the R2 adaptor, it'll save you taking off the sockets:

[automerge]1574629153[/automerge]
Plug adaptor = R2 adaptor, same thing
I get you! Appreciate the response

Reply to Ring main no continuity on live ends in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock