• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Ring main not originating in the DB. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andygosmore

It's obviously not good practice, but is there a specific reg prohibiting a 4mm from the board to a remote rcd a few metres away, & then a 2.5mm ring from the rcd, round the sockets then back to the rcd. I've come across it on a PIR, and unsure whether to pull it up or not.
Thanks
Andy

ackbarthestar

Forum Mentor
None as far as I can see. It doesn't feature as a conventional circuit in the OSG, but then if you do the sums and check the installation method and any other correct factors, it should be Ok.

I believe they call that type of circuit a 'loolipop'

A note on the PIR/EICR stating there are loolipops in the house should do it !

Last edited:

jase

Electrician's Arms
in effect the 4mm is just acting as a submain to the RCD and then a ring main off of it, this would be no different than an SWA going down to a remote RCD board in the shed and a ring main coming of of that,
as long as the calcs work out

E

Engineer54

For futher reading on this subject, check out ''SIMILAR THREADS'' at the bottom of this page!!

Dannyspark

Active EF Member
It's obviously not good practice, but is there a specific reg prohibiting a 4mm from the board to a remote rcd a few metres away, & then a 2.5mm ring from the rcd, round the sockets then back to the rcd. I've come across it on a PIR, and unsure whether to pull it up or not.
Thanks
Andy
I can't remember the exact reg number, but I'm sure their is a requirement to fuse down at any point where their is a reduction in csa. From your description it sounds as though you only have an RCD locally protecting and not a fuse/mcb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance