Discuss Ring Main on but half of sockets not working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

spadge47

hey guys,

I am absolutely stumped with this one.

Im working on a house and at the fuseboard all the ring mains are on. (ive checked for r1 continuity and CPC etc.. and its a ring on ther
However half of the sockets are not working. Ive plugged in my socket tester and im not getting any voltage on my tester (i am getting voltage at certain sockets). Ive looked for an RCD/fused spur incase the 6 sockets are fed on a separate RCD.

ive opened up sockets looking for breaks in cable too.

the only work done recently was a carpet fitter installing carpet grips however i cant see how he would have gone clean through both legs of the ring at two separate points.

please help :(

Regards,
James

Hi James,

I'm no expert, but have you checked the In/out of the the rn conductor? Thinking if there is a break in the neutral conductor, how well would a socket tester work?

Say for example there was a break I the neutral conductor in the first place, a single break could go in noticed as using both other sides of the ring either side of the break, now a carpet fitter comes in, drives a nail through the other neutral and bam... Sockets in the middle not working.

Other option is perhaps they are spurred off another socket? When the board is dead, link out r1 and r2 (of circuit in question only) at the board and test resistance between the two. Try again with r1+r2.

Other option is to long lead each conductor to other sockets which are thought to be in the ring. This may show where the fault may lay?

be good to hear how you get on!

Dan

I would re do your tests as it cannot (without continuity)be a ring final as your suggesting as you have no voltage (continuity) at certain s/o!
Start again and go through the basic test procedure and I am sure you will find what is what !
I take it you have more than a socket tester in your tool box ?

As mentioned,the inoperative sockets cannot be part of that ring....unless...and it's the "unless" you need to identify. Start through the basic steps and it will reveal.

Having seen some houses and some socket circuits run in the gap betwixt the carpet gripper and the wall, and then in a little gap between two bits of gripper, but managed to straddle one and the cable had been pierced by the gripper nails themselves, then I would not be at all suprised that the last man standing (the carpet fitter) is to blame.

as Has been stated might not be a ring or was already a damaged ring.

sounds a lovely little puzzle where are you I want it

Had something similar, one part of ring wired wrongly (for years) across a spur so only continuous when in on position, householder some time later goes to put in an extra socket with the 'aid' of a jb under floor, doesn't do a very good job terminating jb and I get a call only 3 sockets in house working. So in summary took the second fault happening to make the first fault obvious.

nobody has yet asked the pertinent question. title of thread says "half of sockets not working". is it the live half or the neutral half that isn't working?

You need a test eqiuptment for for fault finding, a plug in tester wont help much,what circuits have you been working on?.

It is always best to make sure continuity is correct prior to any works as then if any existing problems can be seen until after and people think what have they done.If install has been fiddled with rings can soon go awry.

part the cables at the breaker/neutrals and earths too--remove all the sockets and test each leg till u find the prob its only a daisy chain after all

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi James,

I'm no expert, but have you checked the In/out of the the rn conductor? Thinking if there is a break in the neutral conductor, how well would a socket tester work?

Say for example there was a break I the neutral conductor in the first place, a single break could go in noticed as using both other sides of the ring either side of the break, now a carpet fitter comes in, drives a nail through the other neutral and bam... Sockets in the middle not working.

Other option is perhaps they are spurred off another socket? When the board is dead, link out r1 and r2 (of circuit in question only) at the board and test resistance between the two. Try again with r1+r2.

Other option is to long lead each conductor to other sockets which are thought to be in the ring. This may show where the fault may lay?

be good to hear how you get on!

Dan

Test for r1, rn and r2 and the test for R1+R2 there is no such thing as r1+r2

Reply to Ring Main on but half of sockets not working in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net