Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Ring Main Tripping MCB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

irishsailor

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

A friend has just called saying his power circuit keeps tripping the MCB, he said all appaliances are plugged out?

Any suggestions lads

Irish

K

kduck

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You need to ask some BASIC questions first, Has any one been playing with the wiring, is it the upstairs or downstairs ring, if downstairs is it wooden floors.

Number of outcomes downstairs with wooden floors could be water under the house seen this a few times, Rodent damage or even a loose wire.To be honest you would need to test it, Start with basic testing continuity then insulation test. Minimum insulation is 0.5 at 500v test.

we're working to the 17th now kduck, minimum IR 1 megohm, latent defect under 2 megohm ;)

K

kduck

yeah your right sorry 1.0 complies with the 17th

G

Guest123

Hey chaps.

I'm a little confused, an MCB provides overcurrent protection, where as an RCD provides earth fault protection.

The only time an MCB would operate is under overload conditions. (See below)

Do you mean RCD??

Cheers.

PS, sorry short circuit also, just become a Dad for second time no sleep and too much work....bad combo.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spudnik

MCB does overload and short circuit protection.

Come on. Get it right:D

M

Mark2009

Hi
Has anyone put a nail through the cable?

Thanks

Mark

Had8Lives

-
Arms
Check there's no spurs off the ring. Naughtily connected immersion heater?

K

kung

Also worth checking i know it sounds silly but he might be confused and think an rcbo is an mcb !
Regards
Kung.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

weyboy

Test the circuit......!!!

Reply to Ring Main Tripping MCB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom