Discuss Ring main. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I have also heard of vast Tree circuits in european countrys maybe this is just a myth?

not from the MCB but one run to a junction box from MCB then branches off in every direction - power Radial not lighting can anyone confirm this?
Yes I can confirm, especially in the former USSR, and former satellite countries

and this site Google Translate - https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=&sl=fr&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fschema-electrique.net%2Fschema-electrique-de-prise-de-courant-norme-et-cablage-du-circuit.html

two feeds into one MCB
Star Radial from one JB
[automerge]1593257112[/automerge]
check this out!!!!
the octopus thats brilliant
[automerge]1593257969[/automerge]
test
Ring main. pieuvre12 - EletriciansForums.netRing main. pieuvre12 - EletriciansForums.net;

Last edited:
Thanks
from this french web site suggests more one connection into MCB - by twisting ;) but recommends wago

I will look at some russian stuff later
I was supervising Sov Sparkies during the rewire of leased property to be used as leetings for Embassy staff including me and mine, we use UK kit but had to concede to the Sov way of doing things, so 2.5 from DB to sockets on a 20A Radial, did try to tutor them on the UK way, but banging my head on a brick wall springs to mind, they hadnever seen or used an RCD before I introduced them on the install.

I was supervising Sov Sparkies during the rewire of leased property to be used as leetings for Embassy staff including me and mine, we use UK kit but had to concede to the Sov way of doing things, so 2.5 from DB to sockets on a 20A Radial, did try to tutor them on the UK way, but banging my head on a brick wall springs to mind, they hadnever seen or used an RCD before I introduced them on the install.
Thank you for your info - personally I don't object to some of the european ways, I'm sure they think the Ring is a bit strange - but I think in Russia they use those twist connectors like in America and I don't like them, but there are some good Russian/German web pages on electrical drawings.

Thank you for your info - personally I don't object to some of the european ways, I'm sure they think the Ring is a bit strange - but I think in Russia they use those twist connectors like in America and I don't like them, but there are some good Russian/German web pages on electrical drawings.
None of my Guys used fire nuts I provided strip connectors (before Wagos) and Wagos when they were introduced, used a lot of Wagos, reckon they were pocketing some here and there for PJs they were not paid much by the way, had to limit the supply bit like a drug dealer lol, then the Sovs opened a B and Q, that was interesting to say the least.

Last edited:
Yes Wago addiction is one of the biggest problems of our time :(
Psssst £ 20 a packet plus my outlay, no middle man.
[automerge]1593269891[/automerge]
Yes Wago addiction is one of the biggest problems of our time :(
As an aside, still got my Sov test lamp, a classic bit of kit, no pics cus it's in me ex Sov box in the Garage, what's the make of those voltage testers? Stienel I think, I ordered about 30 of the cheapest one for my Lads, baskets were flogging them, still B and Q solved that issue, we were allowed 20Amps per dwelling, had an electric fire for emergencies, plugged I, took the main fuse out (don't ask about discrimination) it don't exist in a Communist state) had to call Mr fixit cus I wasn't allowed to touch the mains for fear of the Gulag, cost me my Steinel tester, still never mind eh? My Mrs was chewing he finger nails in anticipation of a visit from the Keith George Brown thugs. lol

Last edited:
I was talking ref our regs BS7671 only. other countries will differ but Europeans will have many similarities with ours although still some different quirks.

Trees are, in actuallity, the same whether they are all in the fuseway or in joint boxes (including ceiling roses, they are just a more pretty variant of a joint box really) .

Some of our lot get a bit hung up thinking that whilst a tree might be OK if the first split is from a joint box yet not at the fuseway, which is not logical if you think about it but it`s the wat they`ve been brought up.
Yet others seem to think a radial must to 1,2,3,4,5 ..... to N (N being the total number) in a straight chain.
Whilst more elegant and also easier to test, it is not mandated, just in the same way that a 1 ring ring final is not mandated.
Lassoos again likewise.
Just because something is not listed in the OSG (standard circuits) or the informative appendices of BS7671 does not mean that they do not conform to the regs.

Psssst £ 20 a packet plus my outlay, no middle man.
[automerge]1593269891[/automerge]

As an aside, still got my Sov test lamp, a classic bit of kit, no pics cus it's in me ex Sov box in the Garage
I have have a old(60s) Readers Diggest that shows you how to make your own continuity tester with this and your test lamp could really be something beautiful.

I have have a old(60s) Readers Diggest that shows you how to make your own continuity tester with this and your test lamp could really be something beautiful.
Does a lamp holder, a Sov Lamp and some wire help you. No you can't have it before you ask means so much to me, and I'm a tool tart as well.
[automerge]1593270802[/automerge]
It is to me as much as my Sov tools

I was talking ref our regs BS7671 only. other countries will differ but Europeans will have many similarities with ours although still some different quirks.

Trees are, in actuallity, the same whether they are all in the fuseway or in joint boxes (including ceiling roses, they are just a more pretty variant of a joint box really) .

Some of our lot get a bit hung up thinking that whilst a tree might be OK if the first split is from a joint box yet not at the fuseway, which is not logical if you think about it but it`s the wat they`ve been brought up.
Yet others seem to think a radial must to 1,2,3,4,5 ..... to N (N being the total number) in a straight chain.
Whilst more elegant and also easier to test, it is not mandated, just in the same way that a 1 ring ring final is not mandated.
Lassoos again likewise.
Just because something is not listed in the OSG (standard circuits) or the informative appendices of BS7671 does not mean that they do not conform to the regs.
BS 7671 is nearly word for word from IEC it appears and your probably find more complex detail about Radials on Euro sites from what i've found today anything over Two cable in the MCB is not really designed to hold more that this.

Thanks
from this french web site suggests more one connection into MCB - by twisting ;) but recommends wago

I will look at some russian stuff later

That is against the French regulations no matter what the site or the people on it say.

The other link also shows 2 into one mcb - I don't have any idea if it complies or not but after searching a number of french sites(not easy for me I barley speak english) I goth the impression that 2 maximum, some forums saying MCB not designed for more than 2 cables - again I'm not saying it complies in anyway.
( I assume there French and not Belgium etc Don't know if there is much difference in there regs?)

In America a MCB must have rating for Double Tapping but seems to be totally different connection.
[automerge]1593274801[/automerge]
ill have a look in L'installation electrique at some point.

Last edited:
I goth the impression that 2 maximum, some forums saying MCB not designed for more than 2 cables - again I'm not saying it complies in anyway.
I've never seen the regs but a famous French electrician did a book based on the regs for DIY'ers and in his 2011 copy he shows several pics with 3 separate lighting runs into one MCB, so i'm presuming you were definitely allowed to do it at some point.

Having said that, i've seen older French electrics and it doesn't appear there were any regs at all that were being followed if the work was anything to go by.

can you try and find the name?
L'installation electrique is the most popular I would say great books.
[automerge]1593288355[/automerge]
there is this book in English by a English guy, never read it.

"Electricity in your French House" is so out of date and wrong in a number of places, and not just the text.

L'installation èlectrique is by Gallauziaux and Fedullo published by Eyrolles updated 2017:
View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linstallation-%C3%A9lectrique-Thierry-Gallauziaux/dp/2212674945/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=l%27installation+electrique&qid=1593295588&sr=8-1

[automerge]1593295431[/automerge]
Presumably the Wago-on-a-rail option is acceptable though? The issue is not having multiple wires in to the MCB's cable clamp?

No the issue is not having multiple circuits protected by one MCB, the problem in France is that anyone can do their own thing in their property, there is no legislation to stop them, it's only if the property is let short or long term that any type of check is carried out, this also applies on re-sale, but as with all of these things it's a tick box exercise carried out by non electricians, the only time a domestic building is checked is if it requires a new installation, then the Consul will check, this may only consist of one socket and one lighting circuit, but if they conform to the Regulations then the power will be connected. :eek:

Last edited:

Reply to Ring main. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock