Discuss Ring socket fault in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

As above, could be two radials.

What size is the OCPD?

Even with no continuity the sockets will work fine, but the conductors may well be undersized for the protective device. Also you may have a couple of live conductors flapping around somewhere.

Easiest way to find the break is to isolate the circuit, link out L-E at the board end on one leg and test at each socket for continuity between L-E at each socket until you find one with no continuity, this will either be the break or the socket before it. Same for N-E.

Existing, its a bizarre ser up loads of spurs.
Could it be a "spider ring", where sockets are spurred of junction boxes in the ceiling/floor void? How old is this installation?

needs first to determine whether it should be a ring or 2 radials. map it out on continuity resistance values then go from there.

Could it be a "spider ring", where sockets are spurred of junction boxes in the ceiling/floor void? How old is this installation?
It's about 40 year old mate, I couldn't find the fault in the ring, I told the client . There's spurs running everywhere.

I think we could do with a bit more specific info.

Firstly, what size is the circuit breaker or fuse? And what is the cable - e.g. 2.5mm2 twin & earth, or 4mm2, or something else?

Secondly, why were you measuring ring continuity - is there some fault you were asked to find, or planned to add more sockets, or some other reason?

Firstly, what size is the circuit breaker or fuse? And what is the cable - e.g. 2.5mm2 twin & earth, or 4mm2, or something else?

Secondly, why were you measuring ring continuity - is there some fault you were asked to find, or planned to add more sockets, or some other reason?
Its 32amp 2.5 twin earth. Its supposed to be a ring and it looks like a ring. I wasn't able to resolve the issue for the client, I told her, as you can see I'm a trainee, so I would like to know the best way forward of I come across this situation, would I just split the ring into radisls?

I was asked to repair the fault, no continuity.

Never assume 2 × 2.5 conductors are going to be a ring final circuit. You need to verify where each "side" goes. What I do is disconnect all conductors and link out the line and cpc of one of the cables then see which of the sockets are measuring continuity between these conductors, repeat with line and neutral linked out and see if the same sockets correspond. Mark these on a rough plan, repeat with the other cable, if they are separate radials you should have no cross over between the sockets.

The highest continuity for each side should theoretically be end of circuit if they are radials.

i found a quick method using a telecom cable tracker. sender on 2 conductors in CU. tracer/receiver into back of each socket.

Reply to Ring socket fault in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock