Discuss ring testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

foghorn

whilst doing ring continuity i have no end to end on cpc also on isulation test live earth im getting 9.50Meg ohmson the same ring are these two results to do with the same problem if so how can i go about finding the fault am i right in saying that if i spilt the ring at one of the sockets then check continuity on each earth at all other sockets i should find the break in cpc wilol this give me low insulation readind live earth.

scratching my head with this cant locate broken earth had all sockets of replaced several still no cpc end to end im thinking that the low insulation test has something to do with no cpc end to end

Wonder if someone has nailed a picture hook into the wall and its gone through the CPC and clipped the line insulation, then at a later date the hook has been removed.

Disconnect the earths and carry out earth continuity test using the wander lead, this should help locate where the break is.
As amp David says 9.3mohms is a pass even if not as high as the other tests

Last edited:
so does that mean disconnect both earths at the sockets and go round doing the same at all sockets belling out each aerth at every socket

landing light wired weird 2way common upstairs go straight to landing light L1 and L2 links to down stairs 2 way common taken from common of 2 gang switch

so does that mean disconnect both earths at the sockets and go round doing the same at all sockets belling out each aerth at every socket

No, test from one earth leg at the consumer unit to each socket outlet, if there is a break the the reading will increase the nearer you get to the break.

lol old days i was not around then just thought i would mention it as was another fault found were abouts is the borrowd neutral as from the way it looks they borrowed live from downstairs by the way no upstairs down stairs lights all on one circuit

so if i test from consumer box on earth from one leg and go round the sockets i should find the break do i need to disconnect the earths at the sockets or leave connected and just go round testing to earth terminal at sockets from earth on leg 1 at the consumer unit

Reply to ring testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net