Discuss Ring Tests on periodic in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

and that is why you should test ring continuity.1-0 to you

naughty corner for whoever did the previous work.

Only if there's "critical" equipment on them. In which case convince them to get them converted to radials!
still have to de-energise radials to test R1+R2.

anybody'else struggling to read the microscopic print on the forum today?

echo that one. wouln't dare turn off our house when the soaps are on. that would lead to a critical situation.

no beer fridge. real ale at 50degrees. corner of garage best place. ice cold beer is for australians who wouldn't know a good beer if it bit them un the arse.

IEE guidance suggests that it may be unnecessary to verify continuity of ring final circuit conductors if there is no evidence that a ring final circuit has been altered.

no beer fridge. real ale at 50degrees. corner of garage best place. ice cold beer is for australians who wouldn't know a good beer if it bit them un the arse.

Here here! Cold beer is for crap lager drinkers, they make it so cold so you can't taste anything (as it actually tastes awful).

If you actually like to taste a good beer, drink it cool, a few degrees below room temp.

Back to the original, yes do ring contiunuity. I would say taking Zs in leiu of R1R2 ON PERIODIC TESTING ONLY is acceptable (though not ideal) on radial circuits, not on rings. The only way I would be happy with Zs only on a ring is if I could get a consistent and expected reading on every single outlet, which by proxy would mean unplugging the equipment and would make doing it this way pointless.

If you omit the ring tests therefore i assume the R1R2 tests to as it would be silly to do one without the other , how would you know if there are any faults you could have 20 sockets on one radial protected by a 32 amp MCB or worst still a 30 amp 3036 nice ,you would also not be able to identify loads of spurs off the ring , the whole point of a PIR is to identify these Faults before they cause a problem ,scenario kitchen /open circuit on the first socket on one leg of the ring relying on the 30 amp 3036 fuse , washing machine on tumble dryer on , dish washer on , lets have a brew ............ seen it happen !!

as for critical area's 100 volts should do it ... i was joking lol

Last edited by a moderator:
problem i found is identifying the correct neutral and earths in a cu for the corresponding phase conductors when singles comming out of a trunking to a rats nest in the cu knowing what belongs to what without depowering for a week, you need to establish the continuity of the ring to ensure breaker is correct size

Here here! Cold beer is for crap lager drinkers, they make it so cold so you can't taste anything (as it actually tastes awful).

If you actually like to taste a good beer, drink it cool, a few degrees below room temp.

The only reason they drink it freezing cold is so they can distinguish from urine

Ring continuity tests are vital in my little book. As for "IEE guidance suggests that it may be unnecessary to verify continuity of ring final circuit conductors if there is no evidence that a ring final circuit has been altered."

How are you going to know that?

I always think of the slogan on the old beer mats/teeshirts from the Wychwood Hobgoblin ale ... something along the lines of "What's the matter lager boy, frightened you might taste something?".

Reply to Ring Tests on periodic in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock