Discuss Ring withing a ring, issues and rectification suggestions. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So I carried out an eicr and discovered a ring within a ring, clearly diy that had been done, unable to locate the point of connection where the ring had been altered/incorrectly connected, I was just wondering is there any immediate danger with this appart from not being wired correctly, megger was clear and the circuit is rcd protected, first thoughts were to split it and get it to 2 radials to minimize damage, any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated. Cheers

If at all possible try to map out the circuit.
it may mean disconnecting all of the sockets to measure continuity between all the bare ends.

If at all possible try to map out the circuit.
it may mean disconnecting all of the sockets to measure continuity between all the bare ends.
my method is to diss. the rfc from the DB and, using a 1363 plug with L shorted to E, measure the resistances. as you move away from the one end, the resistance should steadily increase in value. can also repeat with the other leg.

my method is to diss. the rfc from the DB and, using a 1363 plug with L shorted to E, measure the resistances. as you move away from the one end, the resistance should steadily increase in value. can also repeat with the other leg.
I used similar yesterday. I had mixed emotions of elation at managing to sort two open ring circuits within 40 minutes (one had open live and neutral, 2nd had open neutral), and slight frustration that no one was there to see what a blinder I'd pulled off!

@Chattyman as Tel says measuring increasing resistance from both ends can help you draw it out. With both legs disconnected I tend to join L+N on one leg and leave the other end floating, and go from socket to socket with tester. If working alone it's quicker than moving a dead-short plug around and going back to board for each test. Then repeat for other leg.

Another approach is to identify any socket that has 3 cables (yes, a lot of work!) and test for continuity and remove any spurs.
You may have to go around twice if there's a ring within a ring. Eventually you should end up with an actual single ring, and then assess what isn't connected and work out a solution.
(If there's extra joints under the floor then this becomes painful)

A cheap rechargeable screwdriver for the socket faces can speed things up a lot!

i have one like this but the ryobi version .saves a load of time, esp. if the screws are overlong and need winding out almost 1".

Reply to Ring withing a ring, issues and rectification suggestions. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net