Discuss Rip off and disgusting service in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Cider

Went to a customer the other day who had pv installed last summer................................£11,000 for 6 panels.

Family elderly friend had free system installed by cleantech in January and scaffold still not down despite endless phone calls to company and a registered letter.
All the rubbish was on her lawn for a month before it was removed.
Now causing much stress.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not condoning their work but the word FREE has great weight in the quality of a job! It cost the installer to install that job and they won’t get any payback for many years to come. Coupled with that a large FIT’s drop and you will get bad work due to the rush to meet the deadline!
We install and remove everything that was not there before, including nails, scaffold and any debris from working there.

I've worked (contractor) for a rent a roof crowd and scaffold still being up was one of the biggest complaints. Funnily enough I've heard a few customers say they have phoned the scaffold companies up saying if its not gone within 24hrs it's being weighed in. Needless to say the following day it was gone!

to be fair about the rubbish when we got our MCS the inspector told us we should leave all boxes and parcels for the customer to deal with, as they are buying the equipment it belongs to them. never been cormfortable with this and generally common sense overrides this. But yeah we were told not to take it away.

to be fair about the rubbish when we got our MCS the inspector told us we should leave all boxes and parcels for the customer to deal with, as they are buying the equipment it belongs to them. never been cormfortable with this and generally common sense overrides this. But yeah we were told not to take it away.

You must also be aware you must have a permit to carry waste in a commercial vehicle, it costs next to nothing if I remember correctly, however if you are caught with rubbish on your vehicle you could be fined. Get the permit and a means of disposing of said waste be it a skip at your lockup or an agreement at the local landfill.

Waste Carriers License? It costs a hell of a lot actually!! This was designed for the waste disposal industry to monitor and maintain standards. It is now being used and abused by councils to generate more income. Originally it was designed to reduce fly tipping but in fact the missuse of the requirement by councils is more likely to increase fly tipping.

scaffolding is a nightmare. I have tried 4 different companies, every one has been rubbish. They don't turn up when they say they will and take ages to take it all down again. with 2 of the companies I have had to threaten that if it isn't removed within 2 days I'll remove it and dispose of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waste Carriers License? It costs a hell of a lot actually!! This was designed for the waste disposal industry to monitor and maintain standards. It is now being used and abused by councils to generate more income. Originally it was designed to reduce fly tipping but in fact the missuse of the requirement by councils is more likely to increase fly tipping.

scaffolding is a nightmare. I have tried 4 different companies, every one has been rubbish. They don't turn up when they say they will and take ages to take it all down again. with 2 of the companies I have had to threaten that if it isn't removed within 2 days I'll remove it and dispose of it.

Waste carriers license are cheap and not worth not having you need one to carry scrap. Just renewed mine £105 for 3 years

If you are carrying your own waste from your operations you do not need a waste carriers licence and your van can be considered a mobile site and attached to your base of operations. You only need a waste carriers licence when you are carrying someone else's waste. Even though your customer has bought the materials, the waste generated is from your businesses operations and can be considered your waste.
Taking your waste from your base of operations to a disposal site / recycling company, etc. does not need a waste carriers licence, though you should still complete the appropriate waste transfer documentation.

thats not how everyone I have discussed it with sees it, and I have heard there have been procecutions of tradesmen.

Elrick - you and me obviously have different ideas of what constitues expensive. £105 for a piece of paper that proves nothing and achieves nothing except filling the councils coffers some more sounds expensive to me.

Richard Burns, You may well have a valid interpretation of the law, but that is not how I understand it is currently interpreted by the EA, Councils and others. Have you got any reference to support your view?
Regards
Bruce

Richard Burns, You may well have a valid interpretation of the law, but that is not how I understand it is currently interpreted by the EA, Councils and others. Have you got any reference to support your view?
Regards
Bruce
I think I stand to be corrected having reread the EA stance on carriers.
My understanding may be slightly out of date and it looks as if the regulations will change in 2013.
I also missed the change to the controlled waste regs in 1992, which in terms of normal waste management would not apply expect in very specific cases (one of which is being an electrician).

The following references explain my position:
The Controlled Waste (Registration of Carriers and Seizure of Vehicles) Regulations 1991
Exemption from registration
2.—(1) The following persons shall not be required for the purposes of section1 of the 1989 Act to be registered carriers of controlled waste—
(b) the producer of the controlled waste in question except where it is building or demolition waste;
(2) In this regulation—
"building or demolition waste" means waste arising from works of construction or demolition, including waste arising from work preparatory thereto;
In my view this did not mean alteration however...
The Controlled Waste Regulations 1992
“construction” includes improvement, repair or alteration;

The below was the exemption I felt applied and considered that I was operating a mobile service and understood that the mobile service is the same as the service premises and so was not transporting the waste until taking it to a waste site.
However the mobile site reference is only applicable to hazardous waste and the hazardous waste regulations state that all hazardous waste produced at a site must be consigned if removed from the service site, which will be an absolute nightmare and prevent my business operating so I will have to leave hazardous waste with the customer.

The Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2011
Exemptions in relation to carriers
26.—(1) The following are not required to be a registered carrier of controlled waste for the
purposes of section 1 of the Control of Pollution (Amendment) Act 1989—
(a) a carrier who is a specified person and who does not normally and regularly transport
controlled waste;

(5) In this Part—
“specified person” means—
(e) a carrier which only transports waste produced by the carrier itself, except where it is
construction or demolition waste (and “construction” includes improvement, repair and
alteration);

If the mobile site is part of the service premises then this is the movement of waste between different places in a premises.
The Control of Pollution (Amendment) Act 1989
Offence of transporting controlled waste without registering.
(1)Subject to the following provisions of this section, it shall be an offence for any person who is not a registered carrier of controlled waste, in the course of any business of his or otherwise with a view to profit, to transport any controlled waste to or from any place in Great Britain.
(2)A person shall not be guilty of an offence under this section in respect of—
(a)the transport of controlled waste within the same premises between different places in those premises;

Environment Agency Waste carriers, brokers and dealers - definitions
Carrier
A person who transports controlled waste in the course of a business or otherwise with a view to profit.
From this definition I was not carrying the waste with a view to profit however the EA has split the sentence to be "the course of a business" OR "a view to profit".

Lower tier applicant or registrant also known as ‘specified person’
Any person who is required to register as a carrier, broker or dealer and who falls within one of the categories of 'specified persons' as defined in the Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2011. These are:
OR after 2013, a carrier who only transports waste produced by the carrier itself, except where it is construction or demolition waste (up until then they are excluded).
Lower tier registrations are indefinite unless we revoke it or the registrant wants to withdraw it.

As a mobile service I am not normally and regularly carrying waste.
Exempt activities
People who do not need to register because of a specific exemption in the regulations:
any lower tier carrier who does not normally and regularly transport controlled waste
until after 2013, the existing exemption for carriers who only transport their own waste (unless it is construction and demolition waste) will remain in place.
Excluded activities
People who are excluded from the requirement to register. These include:
Any person who carries controlled wastes but not as part of their business or otherwise for profit
Any person carrying waste between different places of the same premises.

So yes you do need to register as a waste carrier, you do need to register your site as a hazardous waste producer, you do need to consign all hazardous waste off the customer site, you do need a waste transfer note for all waste removed from the customers site, wonderful!!
I will have to look more and find some exemptions:smiley2:

Last edited:
Thing is, I really don't think those regulations were intended to apply to a business where the only real waste being carried is cardboard or plastic packaging, which is then collected weekly from our warehouse by a licensed waste carrier for recycling.

It's fairly obviously aimed at large volumes of actual construction waste eg rubble, cement, bricks, tiles etc etc.

We changed the terms of our contracts to make the customer responsible for dealing with the majority of the waste generated anyway, to avoid having to get into this issue too much.

Thats good info.
It does prove to me that the councils are missusing legislation intended for professional carriers of waste (i.e waste disposal companies). It is very clear this is what this is intended for but I think (altough don't know for sure) that they are probably getting tradesment under the

'in the course of any business of his or otherwise with a view to profit, to transport any controlled waste to or from any place in Great Britain.'

IMHO prosecuting tradesmen is a total missinterpretation of the regulations. I don't think anyone has challenged a prosecution yet

We changed the terms of our contracts to make the customer responsible for dealing with the majority of the waste generated anyway, to avoid having to get into this issue too much.

So did I, but if the customer has nowhere to sensibly store large quantities of cardboard I feel embarrassed leaving it with them and they really do seem enormously grateful when you clear up the place properly.

What a comprehensive answer to my question on carrying waste! I agree that EA, Councils and other exploit every bit of legislation they can to:
- increase their power;
- increase their income.
For electricians, as an example, it is really just another tax and does not achieve anything in terms of saving the planet or other worthy cause.

So did I, but if the customer has nowhere to sensibly store large quantities of cardboard I feel embarrassed leaving it with them and they really do seem enormously grateful when you clear up the place properly.
well, in those cases it makes a handy tool storage device for the van I find.

Hell, where is this thread heading? Do we all adhere to every little rule, really..
Has anyone ever been prosecuted for carrying a few bits of cardboard back from a job? It is not as though you are driving around to every PV installation in the country and just collecting the rubbish and then dumping it in a gateway..
As some have pointed out, it is not rubbish, it is a tool box, or padding to stop things breaking, or maybe materials for the 3 little pigs to build a new house as they could not find any straw or sticks.
Come on chaps, lets talk about Inverters or panels or slag off the Government...
Rant over.

I have anecdotal stories of people being pulled, including one of someone getting done for dust in their hoover, don't know if thats approcrphyl though!

Reply to Rip off and disgusting service in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net