Discuss RIP - Winston Churchill in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

So 50 years since his funeral!

A rare Politician compared to the bunch of idiots these days. Whether you liked his views or not, you knew where he stood and what for (like Tony Benn).

A rare Politician compared to the bunch of idiots these days. Whether you liked his views or not, you knew where he stood and what for (like Tony Benn).

Wholeheartedly agree mate 50 years jeez

No doubt he will be remembered in most parts with gratitude and love,that is for sure

Before it gets to the point of gushing sentimental tears for the man,remember this is the same man ,who as Home secretary had little hesitation sending troops in to Tonypandy in order to protect the mine owners and their property against the defenceless community and the miners

His actions and motives at that time ensured that many people in Wales were and still are shall we say, not so enamoured with the guy
To those of you who are,enjoy your day of remembrance

No doubt he will be remembered in most parts with gratitude and love,that is for sure

Before it gets to the point of gushing sentimental tears for the man,remember this is the same man ,who as Home secretary had little hesitation sending troops in to Tonypandy in order to protect the mine owners and their property against the defenceless community and the miners

His actions and motives at that time ensured that many people in Wales were and still are shall we say, not so enamoured with the guy

didn't know that Des56, thanks for educating me a little (more)

A hated man by some, and Loved by others, I won't actually slate this fella even if he isn't my cup of tea, but am glad you pointed out another side of him.

^^^^^^ talking about a man whos decisions made us the country we are.. standing up for what is right. forget the little ****. you could be german mate !!

churchill was actually reluctant to send in troops and only did so after striking miners rioted and looted shops. ( this is from what i read in history at school. i wasn't around in 1910. despite what gmes says.)

^^^^^^ talking about a man whos decisions made us the country we are.. standing up for what is right. forget the little ****. you could be german mate !!
No one with a brain would suggest his war time antics were not heroic, I applaud the man for that, but go to wales or some places in the north of england and accuse them of being German for not wanting to suck his dick, they will soon see you off, I never actually said anything bad about the man at all, just pointing out to Desmond there is another side to him, thatcher pushed the Argies out of the Falklands, you will also get the same reaction from some about her, does that make people who do not like her an Argie, you baribon buffoon you.

churchill was actually reluctant to send in troops and only did so after striking miners rioted and looted shops. ( this is from what i read in history at school. i wasn't around in 1910. despite what gmes says.)
Yeah okay bud :biggrin:

to add again, I respect his war time antics and decisions very much.

yep very true, can't argue there mate, you won't get an opposing reply this time fella.

I don't want to get into his politics, I just want to say that I have a tremendous respect for what he did for his country. He was definitely the man of the moment in his time.

Leave the politics at home and just give him his due as a great Man.

No one with a brain would suggest his war time antics were not heroic, I applaud the man for that, but go to wales or some places in the north of england and accuse them of being German for not wanting to suck his dick, they will soon see you off, I never actually said anything bad about the man at all, just pointing out to Desmond there is another side to him, thatcher pushed the Argies out of the Falklands, you will also get the same reaction from some about her, does that make people who do not like her an Argie, you baribon buffoon you.

i was replying to des i didnt see your comment until after i replied just coincidence i had the ^^^ on your comment... no harm intended :).. agreed about thatcher

i was replying to des i didnt see your comment until after i replied just coincidence i had the ^^^ on your comment... no harm intended :).. agreed about thatcher

You are very quick (with what seems to be a fair bit of foul language) to insult me for pointing out that not everything we know about an hero is always so cut and dried

In fact I believe and accept that he was an heroic figure to millions for his contribution in the war years and those millions still remember with gratitude the role he played and I for one applaud them for being true to their history
He was the perfect type or character to lead Britain during dire times and I, not being a German, appreciate that his leadership during those years was vital and helped the country succeed

Now back to what I intended,to show that not all is roses in the Churchill garden

As a politician before and after the war he was an abject failure,even the appreciative electorate dumped him because he did not have the talent that would be needed for a leader in times of peace
He was a single minded,win at all costs figure,that happened to be the character of that man of privilege

That type of character was also the reason 30+ years before WW2 that he is not remembered here with so much gusto
The tactics he used successfully to help the country win WW2 were the same he used to win against workers trying to survive poverty,and I mean starvation type poverty,when there was a strike in the mining industry that closed a pit

My fathers description of the events that tarnish the man went along these lines
The reaction of the mine owners to the strike was to sack 800+ workmen who were not on strike in order to put them all in their place
They cared not for the people,only the profit margin that could be squeezed from them,remember there was not a social security net for these people just despair

Also remember at this time the worker had to live in the mine owners propety,eat food bought from the mineowners shop and were but slaves in all but name in this wonderful country that Churchill would go on to lead

The miners fought with the only weapon they had,their labour,they went on strike throughout the area
Churchill being the Home secretary in far away London agreed to assist the mine owners to defeat the workers by sending in hundreds of mounted police from a county force far away from that area

The mounted police obviously acting under instruction from above were described as acting like an invasion force with brutal tactics against ordinary folk who dare protest

The people in the area fought back and control was lost by that force and request was made to Churchill for armed troops to put down these people
He dispatched hundreds of troops to the area and the community was bullied into submission
He would have little hestitation in permitting the use of the live ammunition that they carried and would have won this battle with whatever it took to do so,that just so happened to be the character that served him and the country well years later

His actions in WW2 were heroic,the same actions against his own people years before can only be described as shameful
That is the reason he may not be so endearing here,however,that is not to say that I don't respect the people who hold the man in awe,they just happen to have a different view of the man to me

Miners seem a hard bunch to please.

Either way, it's customary to remember the dead for what they accomplished, not for their shortcomings.
Not many people can say they won a world war.

Either way, it's customary to remember the dead for what they accomplished, not for their shortcomings.

That would be a fine sentiment if that were indeed the case Adam

An extreem example I know,but I would think the relatives of the victims of Harold Shipman have his qualities as a medical practitioner who healed the sick at the very bottom of what is customary for them to remember

Any man needs to be remembered as a whole,its not good to only cherry pick the parts that suit

Miners seem a hard bunch to please.

Not many people can say they won a world war.
Crawling around a mile underground breathing in sh$t all day sweating from hard graft is probably one reason combined with no other work around the areas they live another, and nothing special in the pay department another, you would get a kicking in several areas of the country with that comment, I would love to add some more comments to this reply, but it would without doubt get me a lifetime ban, I won't reply to your expected reply to this either, so knock yourself out, have a nice day Adam.

Winston was a great guy, but was he in the same league as this one!

Attachments

• RIP - Winston Churchill article-2046371-094FA673000005DC-194_224x354 - EletriciansForums.net
    article-2046371-094FA673000005DC-194_224x354.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 65

Reply to RIP - Winston Churchill in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock