Discuss Risk Assessment in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DaveJay

Hi im a new boy on here, I am currently trying to gather the mountings of paperwork and info required for MCS Accreditation for solar PV.
I have a 2.82kWp roof mounted PV system to install for inspection.
I am preparing a Health and Safety/Risk Assessment, can anyone help with the electrical side of this identifying and controlling the risks.
An example would be great.

Who said it would be easy!!!

Cheers DaveJay

Hi im a new boy on here, I am currently trying to gather the mountings of paperwork and info required for MCS Accreditation for solar PV.
I have a 2.82kWp roof mounted PV system to install for inspection.
I am preparing a Health and Safety/Risk Assessment, can anyone help with the electrical side of this identifying and controlling the risks.
An example would be great.

Who said it would be easy!!!

Cheers DaveJay

Hi welcome along.

I achieved MCS earlier this year and the paperwork side of it was certainly challenging!

I bought a generic method statement for solar thermal and adapted it to PV.From memory it cost £12.50 and was from heath and safety direct. If I can find the web link again I will attach it. (found it it's here) It is OK for roof works but not really any use for ground mount but it is a good bases to work from to format your own.

The risk assessment is a different thing as it is more individual to the job in hand. I made a tick box form with additional comment boxes to the back. I searched the net for samples and formatted my own accordingly. I now have my own generic one and can amend as and when required. Both were accepted on my MCS inspection.

Regards

Mark

The best way to produce a risk assessment is to start off with a method statement for the works to be undertaken then assess the hazards associated with the work, having listed the hazards then assess the risk level of ocurrance of the assessed hazards causing harm and then provide details of control measures to reduce/minimise the risk level

Hi welcome along.

I achieved MCS earlier this year and the paperwork side of it was certainly challenging!

I bought a generic method statement for solar thermal and adapted it to PV.From memory it cost £12.50 and was from heath and safety direct. If I can find the web link again I will attach it. (found it it's here) It is OK for roof works but not really any use for ground mount but it is a good bases to work from to format your own.

The risk assessment is a different thing as it is more individual to the job in hand. I made a tick box form with additional comment boxes to the back. I searched the net for samples and formatted my own accordingly. I now have my own generic one and can amend as and when required. Both were accepted on my MCS inspection.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark

I'm new to this forum and found the forum and your post through a google search for 'Solar PV install method statement'. Great advice above Mark, thank you.

We have just completed the City & Guilds 2372 and are just about to choose an MCS Certification body. We are already NICEIC Approved so they would be the obvious choice.

However, I have had a look at NAPIT and ECA and it would be nice to have a foot in another camp.

Which of the MCS Certification bodies did you register with?

Was it a good experience? Which one would you choose for MCS?

Loyd Davies
ElectrAssure Ltd

Hi Mark

I'm new to this forum and found the forum and your post through a google search for 'Solar PV install method statement'. Great advice above Mark, thank you.

We have just completed the City & Guilds 2372 and are just about to choose an MCS Certification body. We are already NICEIC Approved so they would be the obvious choice.

However, I have had a look at NAPIT and ECA and it would be nice to have a foot in another camp.

Which of the MCS Certification bodies did you register with?

Was it a good experience? Which one would you choose for MCS?

Loyd Davies
ElectrAssure Ltd

Hi Loyd.

We went NICEIC route. I have grave issues with NAPIT and I hate them with a passion so for me they were a no go area. I don't agree with their politics and the B&Q hold they have.(Don't get me started as I will go on for ever!)

As for NICEIC MCS I can't say it was a pleasure but there again it is as much about learning the MCS paperwork code than anything else. As you're with the NICEIC you already know there methods and expectations but most of that can be thrown out of the window regarding MCS. I don't think when we went through it the NIC were very well set up at that stage and a lot of issues we had could of been sorted if we had received the information in the first place. I would hope they have sorted these by now. I know the NIC are and have changed over the recent year or so and they are a lot more sales orientated but they need us as well.

Our area inspector for the contracting side was telling us that they are going through training to do the MCS bits but he's not to keen on it as it has nothing relevant to electrics.

As long as you are mind set to 80 or even 90% paperwork and the remainder the installation then thats a good approach. Don't expect to do anything more than stand and look at your PV install. There's no testing or anything. Don't even need any tools. It is just a look. The major thing is the paperwork.

Reply to Risk Assessment in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock