Discuss Risk assessment in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

wilmac

Hi Folks, I have my annual NICEIC assessment next week and am a bit worried about risk assessment.
According to the regs, we are all supposed to have a a risk assessment procedure before you even get out the van.
I know the theory of it( and like to think that I follow the spirit of it) but just need some practical examples that I can write down to show that I am obeying the rules. any info ? ta:confused:

Hi Folks, I have my annual NICEIC assessment next week and am a bit worried about risk assessment.
According to the regs, we are all supposed to have a a risk assessment procedure before you even get out the van.
I know the theory of it( and like to think that I follow the spirit of it) but just need some practical examples that I can write down to show that I am obeying the rules. any info ? ta:confused:

hi there

funny that just looking at a risk assessment form now on Sunday afternoon:rolleyes: no seriously the one we have to use is a complete nightmare it contains such lovely things for sparking stuff , working at heights, steps towers etc, live services, digging, the kit you use is it fit for purpose etc etc.:eek:

Some of the codger i work with need one for turning up in the morning :D

Then you have to do this calculation and if it is above a certain number go back and get a grown up to sort it out for you !!!:confused:

Most of it is common sense lock off make safe ppe etc but we have generic risk assessments in place for specific tasks ie change a light bulb:rolleyes:

cheers

The ones we had at Southern electric were pants ! ie
Trips
Slips
Falls
Weils disease
Dogs
Driving
Electricity
Gas
Water
Weather
ETC
ETC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you will still need to do a risk assessment even if you are working on your own as you could highlight something which may need addressing by a third party before carrying out the work.

Oops!

i didnt think we had to being a sole trader. My bad.

Looks like i need to scribble a few out before my next assessment then.:D

Hi all. My first post!
I have been with the NIC for 3 years and never been asked about risk assessment, but you do a mental risk assessment for everything that you do.

Hi Pete.

I knew i wasnt going mad as i have never been asked for either!

Mind you, i think it may pay to do one occasionally especially in lived in domestic dwellings.

They also ask for a health and safety policy, but this isnt required either if you are a sole trader with under 5 employees.

Hi i'm new to this forum and have my elecsa assessment coming upina few weeks. I have a question about doing an insulation test on a radial circuit (domestic upstairs lights) i have tested the circuit and am getting a very low reading under 0.28 mohms. Anyone got any ideas why this is so low

Hi i'm new to this forum and have my elecsa assessment coming upina few weeks. I have a question about doing an insulation test on a radial circuit (domestic upstairs lights) i have tested the circuit and am getting a very low reading under 0.28 mohms. Anyone got any ideas why this is so low

Something is still connected to the circuit and is showing up as a "short" or low Ir reading. you may have left a light switched on or it could be a smoke alarm or extractor fan, anything which has electronic components, chokes or filiments must etc must be disconnected. Try connecting the phase conductors together (live + neutral) then test it again test again between them and earth, you will hopefully get a high reading that is acceptible.

SC

Here is a pdf that outlines the basics from the hse.

Something is still connected to the circuit and is showing up as a "short" or low Ir reading. you may have left a light switched on or it could be a smoke alarm or extractor fan, anything which has electronic components, chokes or filiments must etc must be disconnected. Try connecting the phase conductors together (live + neutral) then test it again test again between them and earth, you will hopefully get a high reading that is acceptible.

SC

mercanlandy

I like to think that elec1984 has sorted this out in a year.

Last edited:
I dont think you need to do risk assessments if you work alone.

Its only when you have employees.

I know its an old thread but year 2013 you do need them even if you work alone, I just had my NICEIC application inspection and I didn't have method statements or risk assessments and did not pass because of that. Though not just because of that, now you need to have a system in place to proof you keep you tester calibrated a record kept each month, costumer complaint forms, Company health and safety policy, risk and method statements for all your jobs. You are required to have all the latest electrical books, at least 2 million liability insurance (however I suggest getting 5 million as you will only end up having to pay a £50 admin fee plus extra to up it to 5 million because that is what most electrical contract require you to have. Well anyway that is for anyone who stumbles onto this thread looking for a risk template and in a similar situation. As for the fail:S I failed on all the paper work, so not the end of the world but a set back at that.

Thanks for the link Big Breakfast

JS

Reply to Risk assessment in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock