Discuss Risk Assessments in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Spoon242

Guys,

I have been working on the health and safety policy for my new company which is completed now, but have to move on to the next beast, risk assessments.

how do some of you guys do them?

do you do a good general one to cover works or have you written individual ones, eg, using steps, using drills, using hand tools etc?

Perhaps some one could help me with an easy to work template?

Thanks in advance.

Julian

Guys,

I have been working on the health and safety policy for my new company which is completed now, but have to move on to the next beast, risk assessments.

how do some of you guys do them?

do you do a good general one to cover works or have you written individual ones, eg, using steps, using drills, using hand tools etc?

Perhaps some one could help me with an easy to work template?

Thanks in advance.

Julian

we are given a file with ra's for anything from using steps to making a cup of tea to pigeon poo,its a mine field,keeps some people constantly employed,not sure the ins or outs of using other companies rams and if that would stand up in a court if the worst was to happen, a good h&s officer will never be short of work

As AM says you are now entering the mine field.

There are numerous ways and means that you can do this, and probably no way will satisfy H&S!
It does depend very much on the scale of your business and, though I should not say it, how likely you are to be tested on your risk assessments.

You can do a very basic task list assessment for each task you are going to do and identify the precautions required to ensure a minimum level of risk.

You could detail each task with a full analysis and use these as generic risk assessments.

You could assess each job you are going to do and list the generic risk assessments that apply and detail any additional risk assessment required and so provide an overall risk assessment for that job.

I have a generic risk assessment covering the normal work I am likely to do as an overall risk assessment, and I assess each job (possibly) according to this risk assessment and identify if there are special conditions that apply which may require more detailed assessment.

The last and easy and probably not acceptable is a dynamic risk assessment.
I am a professional and on starting a job I immediately with my detailed knowledge of health and safety and accident statistics and the mechanics of all my tools and the construction of the building in which I am working and my awareness of the chemical risks: assess the details of the job and decide what precautions I will take.
I think this is the rare feature common sense!
I am attaching a couple of possible forms but you can make them as easy or as complicated as you need.
View attachment RISK ASSESSMENT - BLANK.docView attachment BLANK RISK ASSESSMENT FORM.doc

agree richard,i find depending on the site/customer a method statement will do,others more the multi national sites want a specific ra for each task, using ladders,cable pulling,using drills etc etc,takes longer to issue rams and get the ptw than do the job,but thats the way now,it adds ££ to the job cost

I had an Interview 2 weeks ago and was temporarily stumped as I knew what Risk Assessments and Method Statements were but never heard it called 'rams' so thank you guys for using it. I had thought it was just the interviewer!

Reply to Risk Assessments in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net