Discuss Rj45 cable plugs and sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nethystevo

I have just finished wiring a house in cat5e cable and have connected up all the plugs and sockets, but after testing it with the continuity tester it comes up with non-parallel, this happens when the green and orange cores are connected in the socket, but when I take them out it says connected? Really confused with this.

The connections are exactly what's marked onto the socket, this is why I'm struggling to understand why it is not working. I'll triple check my connections but I'm more than positive that they are the right way around.

What markings does the module have on it, 568a or 568b?

also have you proved the test leads youmare using are working correctly?

Sounds like one end is connected to 568A and the other to 568B, which are basically similar but have the green and orange pairs in opposite places. Most connectors show pinouts for both so you might have followed the wrong legend compared to the way you have done the plugs.

E: And Dillb is thinking along the same lines

remember there is 2 standards to connect to 586a and 586b
both of these will probably be marked on the outlet
it is very easy to get mixed up if they are both marked up on the outlet

Right I've just had a thought, I have one end a socket and one end a plug, will this still work? Also I'm using both 568A on both ends.

a0484141bda41a0991c6f799a7d58d6d.jpg
this is the tester I'm using.

I've taken a shop bought cable and tested that just incase but it says that cable is fine, would it mater that it's a plug on one end and a socket on the other?

ok first thing, prove your test cables, plug test rj45 cable in transmitter and receiver and hopefully all should show connected. if all ok then move on to your installation, remove pairs one at a time until connected shows, but 2 pair numbers do not lite....swop the non lite pairs, to hopefully show connect.

Reply to Rj45 cable plugs and sockets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net