Discuss Robin KTS 1620 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mikeyb1000

Hello everyone,

I have just bought a Robin KTS 1620 from ebay. I am new to actually testing and this is my first tester. Continuity seems to work fine though the problem is with the Insulation Resistance function. When I place the croc clips together I get a reading of 1.2MΩ fluctuating to 1.38MΩ (or there about, when it should be reading "OL" or over range) and when I place them onto the lighting circuit I am testing (with all switches closed/on) I get the reading "OL" (which is what I also get when I remove the croc clips from each other as previously mentioned when not testing anything and crop clips connected direct to each other). Now the manual says OL means over range more than 200MΩ , so I'm not sure that the test I'm doing really is over range if its also saying that when the leads aren't even connected to anything!

Can anyone else shed some light on why this may be?

Hi Dave, no, no calibration certificate with it, though I will take it to get it calibrated. the seller on ebay seemed genuine as he has 219 sales and a 100% positive feedback rating. Is it possible that this is just a calibration thing or would calibration not fix this in your opinion?.
Cheers.

I must admit it came with everything, and no scuffs etc. Almost mint condition.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi gutterball, I've not yet calibrated it. Will calibration fix this or does it sound like something that calibration wont fix?

with the leads not shorted, you should get O/L. with them shorted together it should read 0.00. Meg ohm. first check batteries, then see if the leads will null. then try wiggling the leads and see if the resistance measurement alters.

hi telectrix, i get OL when the lead are seperated but when touching i get around 1.18 meg ohms. have changed the batteries just now as the battery low symbol was flashing. have also pressed the null button but no effect.

not sure but don't some of these testers need a special thingie to null the leads? as with fluke.

yeah i think thats only on the continuity test. the item description on ebay says not calibrated but also says fully functional. i just dont want to spend more more on calibration if this isnt a calibration issue i guess is now the thing. do you think its just a calibration thing that can be fixed or a permanent issue? baffled by why if it would say OL if not even connected

it will read OL if there is no connection, it's a bloody open circuit.

so how come i get OL when i test on the circuit Line to Earth? shouldnt it be OL when the leads are touching? how can it not have OL when the leads are touching..

where you get a reading of 1.8 meg, or whatever, with the leads shorted. it should read 0.00. meg.

with the leads together and not through any circuit. i dont know why its getting the 1.18 meg reading. a calibration would sort this right?

calibration is a check against known parameters. if it's inaccurate, then it needs repair. at this stage, i think you need to find someone who is more conversant with MFTs and testing procedures . where abouts are you located. a member may be close to you willing to have a look.

Reply to Robin KTS 1620 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net