Discuss Rod Stewart selling up .... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like rocking Rod might be selling his drain business

Very successful as a businessman though.

Not many people go from working for themselves to running a £100 million operation, regardless of the practices they might employ.
Having seen many disasters and a few very very "dodgy" Jobs where the real issue could have been solved for very little money .But good old Pimlico robbers wanted it to be a few grand more etc .I think I know them well. And currently in a fight with them assisting a client who had a terrible boiler install etc . Daft idiots put the magnaclean on the feed .The new boiler they fitted for £2k more than it should have cost .packed up within 2 years .They would not offer any guarantee .So the client paid out again for a new boiler and this time they still fitted the filter on the feed . The staff are bullied by his managers and are crooks for playing the game of really "Up selling" simple jobs .I think he is a botoxed crook

Not having any experience of the company, I can not comment on their workmanship or working practices.

What I can comment on is his ability to go from nothing to £100 million, which makes him a reasonably astute businessman. Obviously I wouldn't condone shoddy workmanship or shady practices by any business.

Don’t forget his business is predominately based in London (on occasion I see a few of his fans around Surrey) and their rates are around £100-175 per hour. I know someone who paid £4500 for a new consumer unit and an eicr last year during lockdown.

They also like to have 2 man teams . I wont post the pic of the quote as I would not have the clients permission . But basic fact . Medium size house but in a semi mega expensive part of london (Kensington church street ). Old plumbing with old rads etc . They wanted to POWER FLUSH the system. Take off 9 x rads valve sets . fit basic spec Peg's . re fill system and add inhibitor . So remember 8 x RADS . they quoted its a 2 man job. would take two days .£850 for materials . Valves work out about £80 plus vat all in . Total price £4700. The plumbing would have popped easily if powerflushed . Just needed sludge remover added then drained out and flushed through gently both ways with a little rubber hammer work on the rads and valves . The system had this work done all in one day by a friend on his own. spent the whole morning flushing both directions. Heating was a lot better . Total: £325 all in

Not having any experience of the company, I can not comment on their workmanship or working practices.

What I can comment on is his ability to go from nothing to £100 million, which makes him a reasonably astute businessman. Obviously I wouldn't condone shoddy workmanship or shady practices by any business.
There are astute business men and then there are some who grossly overcharge customers, I think he falls into the second category

There are astute business men and then there are some who grossly overcharge customers, I think he falls into the second category

Yet customers choose to continue using his company's services, in their droves. If people weren't generally happy with that service, it is likely that competitors would have been able to steal a significant chunk of his market.

As posted previously, I have no experience of dealing with Pimlico Plumbers and know little about them. I don't think there is a single successful business that doesn't have its detractors and I've no interest in trying to pretend that less than ideal practices exist within most. The point I was simply trying to make, and I don't see how making this point represents any sort of endorsement, is that he has been very successful in his chosen line of business.

Yet customers choose to continue using his company's services, in their droves. If people weren't generally happy with that service, it is likely that competitors would have been able to steal a significant chunk of his market.

As posted previously, I have no experience of dealing with Pimlico Plumbers and know little about them. I don't think there is a single successful business that doesn't have its detractors and I've no interest in trying to pretend that less than ideal practices exist within most. The point I was simply trying to make, and I don't see how making this point represents any sort of endorsement, is that he has been very successful in his chosen line of business.
They had a run in with HMRC's a year or so ago where most of the staff were found to be self employed but were using Charlie's sign written Van's.Think they fell foul of IR35.
S

Reply to Rod Stewart selling up .... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net