Discuss Rogue Landlord Encounters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There have been some wild sweeping comments on this thread.

With the state of some EICRs recently some people might say all electricians are cowboys. I'm sure you wouldnt agree with that though.

It's not good getting angry and letting emotion win over sense.

For disclosure, I have been a landlord for around 15 years. My tennants have never had any issue that haven't been sorted promptly. On the other hand I had one lot of bad tennants to deal with.

Landlords are people as well, they just want paying for a service they provide, they have invested in a property and offered it to others to live in, if you truly believe your LL is a rouge, move.

Its Often not an easy decision to make.
For instance, I have a family member who is renting a house for him, his wife and 2 children (one of which is seriously special needs)

The state of the house is poor but not terrible
they have been trying for weeks to get a faulty tap fixed but no assistance so far, constantly leaking onto the counter then onto the floor where they are mopping it up regularly.

the electrics are a mess, whole house is on a single 30mA rcd that has been bypassed by 2 loops of cable from intake to output.

Obviously as I am not within a part P scheme, i have not disconnected the loops to see if the rcd is faulty or if there is a genuine fault but my "expert visual analysis" leads me to suspect a fault with the house wiring.

If I were to write up an EICR for the property it would be marked as UNSATISFACTORY.
they have no recent gas cert, no electrical cert, however the the landlord has made it clear that any troubles with the legal side of things will lead to the house being sold.
they cant afford to move so are therefore Fooked or other word that sounds a little like it.

Its not easy for people renting, some landlords are just not doing what is required of them.
I understand that some landlords are also having trouble with tenants so its not all one way, a proper legal structure that regulates landlords and tenants would possibly be a step forward but all the bad ones would avoid registering.

For instance, I have a family member who is renting a house for him, his wife and 2 children (one of which is seriously special needs)

they have been trying for weeks to get a faulty tap fixed but no assistance so far, constantly leaking onto the counter then onto the floor where they are mopping it up regularly.

the electrics are a mess, whole house is on a single 30mA rcd that has been bypassed by 2 loops of cable from intake to output.

Obviously as I am not within a part P scheme, i have not disconnected the loops to see if the rcd is faulty or if there is a genuine fault but my "expert visual analysis" leads me to suspect a fault with the house wiring.

If I were to write up an EICR for the property it would be marked as UNSATISFACTORY.
they have no recent gas cert, no electrical cert, however the the landlord has made it clear that any troubles with the legal side of things will lead to the house being sold.
they cant afford to move so are therefore Fooked or other word that sounds a little like it.

Its not easy for people renting, some landlords are just not doing what is required of them.
I understand that some landlords are also having trouble with tenants so its not all one way, a proper legal structure that regulates landlords and tenants would possibly be a step forward but all the bad ones would avoid registering.
And it will be getting worse ..... Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire .

Have they/you spoken to shelter about this?

They may be able to offer some help and advice.

If they are within the fixed term of their tenancy then it may be that any sale of the house just transfers the tenancy to a new landlord and doesn't result in their having to move.
There's a lot of if's but's and maybe's to it all so proper advice is needed.

the only advice given to them is that they should take the landlord to task with it, however they wont do anything until the tenant has made all reasonable attempts to sort it.
if they made attempts to sort it, they would be homeless.

the charity's and the advice from the council is both the same,
if you are homeless, We will house you in a B and B until a permanent solution is found.

however, how would you like to be causing a stink that makes you homeless on the promise that you will be sheltered in a hotel room until suitable accommodation is found when you have been on the waiting list for suitable accommodation for 9 years and nothing has been found?

Its easy to provide advice but tough to receive and act on it.

not knocking the good advice given but pointing out the flaws in the "system"

p.s. I have a plan to help them but need to spend another couple of years saving the capital to do it.

the charity's and the advice from the council is both the same,
if you are homeless, We will house you in a B and B until a permanent solution is found.

I hadn't realised shelter would be quite as helpless as the council.

I didn't suggest speaking council as I'm well aware of how little they can actually do.

You are probably already aware, but the council will only put them into emergency housing if they are actually evicted with the whole court order + bailiffs circus.
If they leave before proper eviction occurs then they would be deemed as 'voluntarily homeless' and therfore not eligible for emergency housing from the council.

however, how would you like to be causing a stink that makes you homeless on the promise that you will be sheltered in a hotel room until suitable accommodation is found when you have been on the waiting list for suitable accommodation for 9 years and nothing has been found?

I wouldnt, and they do have my sympathy.
I do realise how lucky I am that the flat I rent is habitable and isn't old enough to have deteriorated much.
The only repair I've had to do is to the kitchen sink waste after it finally failed when the landlord ignored the cracks in it for 6 months.

p.s. I have a plan to help them but need to spend another couple of years saving the capital to do it.

That's brilliant to hear, the world needs more people like you!

A leaking top, good grief, get off your butt and do something about it your self.
And thats the issue in the Uk it seems .landlords seem to think they hold the cards and everyone is there to just pay the rent or get removed . As long as people dont fight for or demand their rights etc .Its going to get worse .

And tenants seem to think they can call the landlord just because a screw has come loose on a door, I know who I think has a loose screw. 🤔

And thats the issue in the Uk it seems .landlords seem to think they hold the cards and everyone is there to just pay the rent or get removed . As long as people dont fight for or demand their rights etc .Its going to get worse .

And again, you are making sweeping statements about groups of people.

And again, you are making sweeping statements about groups of people.
yes..... And from my experiences in London I am right . many many landlords are doing all they can to evade their responsibilities and to hold tenants at ransom . And MANY been from certain parts of society that seem to naturally evade anything legal ! Also landlords Borrowing against the income and then wanting the tenant to pay those costs as well . The whole rental market needs better control . Its a joke at the moment .

You started off with UK landlords.... then London.... Any particular area? Street?

I'm with DPG... Its not all landlords
Not all ...And you know that .......! But I am seeing and hearing a lot more about bad landlords. It seems clever ones have sold their properties and moved their money into something a little less easier to deal with .Now the laws and tax thing is making life harder for them . And those that are left,many seem to be getting greedier by the day . And its all down to lack of control and councils not been too worried . Sure you get feckless tenants that think a light bulb has to be changed or they can really start changing decor etc etc . But combine in useless management agencies who hire in the lowest of the lowest to carry out repairs . Its all a race to the bottom in many cases . Landlords should also be vetted and have to supply references from previous tenants .Also a tenant should be able to see if the landlord is having any issues paying the mortgage etc . Why should all the "due diligence " be a one way street .Ive known many tenants have banks turning up etc to say they now own the property (Which tends to work out fine ) as the landlord over cooked their spendings and responsibility . But imagine after 8 months you find the landlord has taken the rent and not paid the mortgage and you might be facing issues .

Not all ...And you know that .......! But I am seeing and hearing a lot more about bad landlords. It seems clever ones have sold their properties and moved their money into something a little less easier to deal with .
Now that I don't understand.]

I am hearing more and more about rouge tenants taking advantage of decent landlords and the rules laid down by local authorities, using racist and asylum excuse's.

This seems to be a very a-motive subject for @LukeD is this personal experience or all second hand knowledge?

Last edited:
Now that I don't understand.]

I am hearing more and more about rouge tenants taking advantage of decent landlords and the rules laid down by local authorities, using racist and asylum excuse's.

This seems to be a very a-motive subject for @LukeD is this personal experience or all second hand knowledge?
Are the experiences you mention personal or all second hand knowledge ?

A leaking top, good grief, get off your butt and do something about it your self.

And tenants seem to think they can call the landlord just because a screw has come loose on a door, I know who I think has a loose screw. 🤔

Presumably you think you have a right to receive 100% of the rent, while expecting your tenants to carry out your maintenance for you?

Reply to Rogue Landlord Encounters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net