Discuss Rooftop contraption in the Green Energy Forums | Green Energy Hub area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what this rooftop, folding, fan-like contraption is?

Attachments

• Rooftop contraption 43FE0814-36F2-4DBD-926C-6DE937D5EF7C - EletriciansForums.net
    43FE0814-36F2-4DBD-926C-6DE937D5EF7C.jpeg
    33.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Rooftop contraption 29382F07-752D-4010-9456-FC896E42768F - EletriciansForums.net
    29382F07-752D-4010-9456-FC896E42768F.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 44
Here you go, Dual axis sun tracking Solar array;

However, an innovative solar energy system from Austria, billed as "the world’s first all-in-one solar system," aims to make home solar much more efficient and practical, because not only does it claim to produce 40% more output (than conventional fixed position PV arrays), but it's also decidedly more portable than a rooftop solar system and can be unbolted from its anchor and moved to a new home or location.

The Smartflower POP system is a 3.2 kW solar array which is designed to be ground-mounted, with the device folding its panels up at night or in high wind conditions, and then automatically unfolding again in the morning. The units come in 8 different colors, so you can be sure your solar array matches the rest of your home if that's important to you.

The Smartflower includes a dual axis tracking system which keeps its panels oriented directly at the sun throughout the day (and throughout the seasons), which allows it to harvest more solar energy over the course of a day than a conventional solar array. According to the company website, this allows the units to produce between 3,400 and 6,200 kWh per year, which is equivalent to the "average complete annual consumption of a central European household."

Interesting to look at the info in the link, I was trying to find out the dimensions - e.g. for the 3.4kW version - as it doesn't look big enough in the photo to be capable of that much power output?

Interesting to look at the info in the link, I was trying to find out the dimensions - e.g. for the 3.4kW version - as it doesn't look big enough in the photo to be capable of that much power output?
that was my thought also.

Better link direct from Manufacturer,

Tech spec,

194sq ft surface area, 2.5kw rating but equivalent to 4kw conventional system for output, given the tracking.
Approx $27000, one size only available with or without batteries.

Possibly along the Fischer heaters theme, good idea, possibly expensive.

Last edited:
I found another link with some specs:

I'm finding the numbers a bit confusing, e.g. a nominal capacity of 2.31kW, but sold as a 4.6kW system. The package seems to include batteries that possibly confuse the specs. I can't help wondering if there is some deliberate inflating of headline numbers!

I found another link with some specs:

I'm finding the numbers a bit confusing, e.g. a nominal capacity of 2.31kW, but sold as a 4.6kW system. The package seems to include batteries that possibly confuse the specs. I can't help wondering if there is some deliberate inflating of headline numbers!

really? ....when has anyone in the renewables,ever done that? :)

I think they look stunning, but can't figure out how anyone could justify the cost for practical purposes.

The Basic model costs roughly £24,000. At maximum claimed energy production of 6,200kWh per annum (which obviously wont happen in the UK), and assuming no maintainence costs, it's still going to take an awfully long time to break even.

Stunning in a bad way IMHO! It is an enormous contraption when open. Also, it's got to function without problems for many years to repay the initial investment.

Reply to Rooftop contraption in the Green Energy Forums | Green Energy Hub area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock