Discuss Room Thermostat comes on and off too regulary in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

iceman2010

I over the last few days and noted that the room thermostat,located in the hall,comes on between every 10-13 minutes and stays on for about 20-23mins and then this cycle constantly repeats throughoout the day.
Room thermostat is a Honeywell T6360 with lamp and is set to 20c. I also have a wall thermometer next to it which reads about the same temp.
When the thermostat fires the boiler the temp on the thermometer is still showing 20c. The heating is 24/7 so as you can imagine it is running about 40mins out of every hour all day!

surely this is not normal operation?

Is the t/stat sited in a cold hallway? Possibly effected by front door area?

i use to think it was a cold hallway but since putting a wall thermometer the temperature doesnt drop within an hour, not sure if the wall thermometer is accurate enough. There are no draughts from the front door. The stat is fixed above the "under the stairs" cupboard which has a draught, however for the timebeing i have taped up the door so no draught comes through. the stat is also located approx 1m from a 70x70 rad with no trv. There is also smaller rad next to the front door which is about 3m away.

is this sat a wireless jobby or hard wired?

get a cheap bog standard stat and see it that cures the problem. if so, then it's a faulty stat.

could it have been wired incorrectly? download the instructions from honeywell and check it.

Line=1, neutral=2,sl=3 and your Cpc. If you have motor on/motor closed valves then you will prop have an extra wire that will=4.
is it a combi boiler? If it isn't you sure it's not your cylinder stat kicking the boiler in?

Various

-The stat is doing its job but you have poor thermal containment in house.
-Stat set too high for heating system to maintain which will cause cycling - could be due to inefficient maintenance on the heating system, build up of crap in the rad's, air pockets etc so radiators are not efficient and struggle heat the area effectively.
-Radiators too small for area been served
-Customer trying to demand too much temp' - 21degrees is optimal, 25degrees for elderly - above this your a soft nancy so try break your pampered life and harden up! Reread post -ignore this point!
-Stat is as above caught in a draught and just trying to react to constant temp change.

PS ... Is your name just a coincidence.

Last edited:
i use to think it was a cold hallway but since putting a wall thermometer the temperature doesnt drop within an hour, not sure if the wall thermometer is accurate enough. There are no draughts from the front door. The stat is fixed above the "under the stairs" cupboard which has a draught, however for the timebeing i have taped up the door so no draught comes through. the stat is also located approx 1m from a 70x70 rad with no trv. There is also smaller rad next to the front door which is about 3m away.

Joking aside I think thats your issue, rad comes on stat too close to rad and you get a cycling effect, relocate stat away from draughts and to the side wall to rads if possible so its monitoring ambient temp and not direct warm air flow.

PS ... Is your name just a coincidence.
Your in I.T. so at a guess your a smoker with poor damaged circulation thus always feeling cold, your job is in lovely tropically heated offices, you put stat up to max to try mimic work and it cannot maintain your needs....
Stop smoking
Take refreshing walks in the cold weather
Reduce stat to 21 degrees; no more! and wear jumpers to compensate if its not warm enough.
Stop blaming electrics for been a soft git :icon12:

Think you're adding 2 + 2 to make 5 here darkwood. The OP says that the 'stat is set to 20C.

To the OP:
Why do you think the 'stat is operating incorrectly? It contains an accelerator heater to minimise the differential between switching on and switching off. If it has been correctly installed, this will be affecting its performance in a way that you may not be used to if your previous one didn't have this feature. I suspect that it's working as designed.

From what you say, the boiler's only running for two periods every hour or less (assuming the '10-13 minutes' is the off time), which doesn't sound out of order for keeping your house continuously warm.

Is the temperature of the rooms generally about right?

Think you're adding 2 + 2 to make 5 here darkwood. The OP says that the 'stat is set to 20C.

To the OP:
Why do you think the 'stat is operating incorrectly? It contains an accelerator heater to minimise the differential between switching on and switching off. If it has been correctly installed, this will be affecting its performance in a way that you may not be used to if your previous one didn't have this feature. I suspect that it's working as designed.

From what you say, the boiler's only running for two periods every hour or less (assuming the '10-13 minutes' is the off time), which doesn't sound out of order for keeping your house continuously warm.

Is the temperature of the rooms generally about right?

Yep! missed that 20c bit so edited ...cheers, it still could be a number of reasons but as you say it not exactly cycling alot per hour here, I reckon mine is the same and my thermal containment is crap on my house been an old stone building.

I thought our house was an old stone structure, but it was the mother-in-law at the door.

Question,
Is the house too warm?

If the answer is No, then the stat is working O.K
If the answer is Yes, then the stat is faulty or is set too high.

If it's cold outside the boiler will be on longer.

The only way to stop cycling is to use a boiler with modulation control and a controller (not stat) to match the boiler output to the house heat loss.
But all that will do will cause the boiler to be on most of the time but on a lower setting

Line=1, neutral=2,sl=3 and your Cpc. If you have motor on/motor closed valves then you will prop have an extra wire that will=4.
is it a combi boiler? If it isn't you sure it's not your cylinder stat kicking the boiler in?

hiya, the cylinder is on a timer and this issue occurs outside of that period too. I will check the wiring, though it was put like for like when the stat was changed.

Joking aside I think thats your issue, rad comes on stat too close to rad and you get a cycling effect, relocate stat away from draughts and to the side wall to rads if possible so its monitoring ambient temp and not direct warm air flow.

yes, i have considered moving the stat to the opposite wall but that would make is closer to the front door and also to the living room door. I thought about moving it into the living room which has better heat containment than the hallway.

Reply to Room Thermostat comes on and off too regulary in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net