Discuss Rose Wiring (old wiring to new wiring) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone could help me with this. I want to replace an old light fitting which was a bit cracked and broken. Images of old wiring below, 528 attached. Now I want to wire it up with to a new style rose images 236, 114.

When I look at the wiring diagram for the new set up of 8 connections I seem to be missing two wires. (I have 2 live 2 neutral in the diagram and 2 for the lamp) If we call the far right connection 1 and the far left connection 8 so that each connection has a number, which wires should go into which number/connection. Any help really appreciated.

John Rose Wiring (old wiring to new wiring) 20190218_141528 - EletriciansForums.net Rose Wiring (old wiring to new wiring) 20190219_170236 - EletriciansForums.net Rose Wiring (old wiring to new wiring) 20190219_170114 - EletriciansForums.net

Unfortunately, without test gear, you're not going to be able to identify the cables. My advice is to engage the services of a local electrician, preferably one who comes recommended by family, friends or colleagues.

It will be a quick job for a spark with the right gear to test the cables to establish what's what and reconnect it (I'd be looking at a callout of an hour to fix this).

it's impossible to tell which is what from a photo. i'd advise getting an electrician in as each cable will need to be identified. which area of Manchester? i cover quite a fair part, most areas accessible/close to M56 or M60.

Could of done with taking the photo's before removing the cables :confused:

As above I'm afraid without a spark it'll most probably end up with a bang
the bang will likely be accompanied by a spark.

Okay,

is it possible to buy the old style rose and wire it up exactly the way it was before?

John

The issue is, you have two cables with the same colours cores and no way of identifying which is which, so regardless of what type of light fitting/ceiling rose, it's not going to change the fact you don't know which cable is the supply and which is the switch. Get it wrong, and as has already been said... *BANG*

The best advice has already been provided... engage the services of a local spark.... @telectrix would be a good choice :)

Hi,

thanks for the replies, I thought I had taken a photo of it before I removed the wires. Bolton, how much would you charge for this?

John

Redacted due to forum rules and uncertainty of which is the L-N

Hi,

thanks for the replies, I thought I had taken a photo of it before I removed the wires. Bolton, how much would you charge for this?

John
ÂŁ60 as Bolton is about a 35 mile trip for me.someone closer might save you a tenner though.

Put the two reds in the middle block.
Put one black in each of the other blocks.
Connect your light wiring (blue and brown) one to each of the blocks with the black wires.
You should end up with two reds in the middle block, a black and a blue in another block and a black and a brown in the last block.
If your fitting has an earth wire (Green and Yellow), connect that to the terminal with the green wire.

Last edited by a moderator:
and get rid of those pigtail ends. what sausage twists solid conductors? (not you ,OP, whoever installed it).

Spin’s got it sussed

The two reds are permanent live.
One of the blacks is a switched live, the other is a neutral.
In a perfect world, one of those blacks would have a bit or red sleeving or tape to say it’s a live.

If it’s a bog standard pendant you’re fitting, it doesn’t really matter... a black to the brown of the flex, the other to the blue.
The purists among us would prefer the switch live to brown and neutral to blue, but you would need test equipment to figure that one out.
As long as the two reds are joined together and to nothing else, it’ll work fine.

You will need to find out which one of the blacks becomes live when the light switch is on this is the one that the brown goes with. you have a 50/50 chance of it being right.

Spin’s got it sussed

The two reds are permanent live.
One of the blacks is a switched live, the other is a neutral.
In a perfect world, one of those blacks would have a bit or red sleeving or tape to say it’s a live.

If it’s a bog standard pendant you’re fitting, it doesn’t really matter... a black to the brown of the flex, the other to the blue.
The purists among us would prefer the switch live to brown and neutral to blue, but you would need test equipment to figure that one out.
As long as the two reds are joined together and to nothing else, it’ll work fine.
Think we all know the set up, but to advise a novice bit dicey.

Spinlondon, you are the man, thank you very much, it worked first go.

John

Reply to Rose Wiring (old wiring to new wiring) in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock