Discuss Rosemary Hard clay roof tiles problem in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

soupastar

Ok I am newbie here but have a question about the above which I hope is cool.

I am attaching a Juliette balcony to a loft dorma which is clad in rosemary red hard clay roof tiles. All the tiles are attached and are vertical.

I need to drill around 16 holes 8mm sometimes through double thickness tiles. I have so far managed to get through one of the overlapped tiles and in the process ruined two diamond tip drill bits. One was a pre oiled tip which you are not supposed to use over a 1,000 rpm it says it doesnt need cooling either but it was pretty useless. I dont want to crack the tiles but it has taken nearly 40 minutes just to get one hole. The other diamond drill bit has lost its coating even though I was constantly dipping into water to cool.

I was told by the fella who laid the tiles that he went through two £69 grinder blades when cutting them.

Any advice to what drill bit I should be using or what I could be doing wrong is appreciated.

I would personally never drill tiles, be they hanging or roofing. Will the tiles not crack when you tighten the screws holding Juliette balcony - judging the results of a search for Juliette balcony your gonna break the tiles when you tighten those screws.

My advice is to remove the tiles and use lead or flashing, other wise you'll be replacing tiles every year for the foreseeable future.

Balcony sould be fixed first then tiled in later.
If roofer is trying to cut Rosemary tiles with a grinder, he is a ****wit and does not know what he is doing.
He should use tile croppers or a pair of pincers to nibbble them to the correct size,
(old school).

Most of the Juliette's I have seen are hung on the tile - though most have been a concrete tile. Judging by the toughness of the tile I can't imagine it will crack with screwing and they have a rubber protector on the fixing to take some of the pressure.

the problem is I would have to remove all the tiles around door frame (about 40 at a guess) to fit a juliette balcony which only has fixings positioned around seven of them. Can these tiles be drilled?

Most of the Juliette's I have seen are hung on the tile - though most have been a concrete tile. Judging by the toughness of the tile I can't imagine it will crack with screwing and they have a rubber protector on the fixing to take some of the pressure.

you only have to look at a clay tile for it to break.
I think sometimes they just break to get at me!

you only have to look at a clay tile for it to break.
I think sometimes they just break to get at me!

I think these tile must be faulty then as they are breaking the drill bits. I recently drilled through porcelain tiles and it was far easier.

Unless I find a drill bit that can do it easily I may as well take them off and do as suggested above as it will take close to a day and a huge expense to drill them.

Reply to Rosemary Hard clay roof tiles problem in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock