Discuss Rotary isolator as main switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi,

im looking to install a main switch in a commerical premises, so for example board changes, ect can be done without taking out the supply fuse.

Would a rotary isolator be suitable?

Don't see why not as long as it is sized correctly and has a position to allow safe isolation ie lockable

yes it does and the size would be correct, i was just wondering why you dont see these used that much as main point of isolation on installtion when they alot cheaper than some the other main isolator switches you can buy

You need to ensure any switching device is rated for on load switching, many rotary switches out there are not and are just for isolation purposes hence cheaper prices.

You need to ensure any switching device is rated for on load switching, many rotary switches out there are not and are just for isolation purposes hence cheaper prices.
Yes general use of rotery isolators are form loads rhat have stop start units on them so you can nof turn them on under load

Reply to Rotary isolator as main switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi we have been asked to run a 3 phase supply into a boiler house to feed a DB fed from next to the existing meter. Would we need to install Tails...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated! (Note, this is not a DIY, I'm using a fully qualified electrician, just posting here...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a temporary supply to a modular kitchen and need to bring over a new 3PN supply for a new temp consumer unit located...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I have moved into a property with a 63a single pole rotary isolator controling a inline water heater. Is this safe? Surely it should...
Replies
Views
Hi all, if I cannot access the line side of a crabtree 100A DP main switch. Would someone enlighten me how to conduct safe isolation on this...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock