Discuss Rough dates for VIR cable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
A genuine quicky - can someone remind me of roughly when VIR was introduced? Having a brain/sieve moment, best I can think of is early 50's?

much earlier. i've seen VIR, some in in lead sheath, from 1926. all VIR discontinued 50's - early 60's.

This is terminated into a Wylex, though of course there's no way of telling if it was there before the board!

A genuine quicky - can someone remind me of roughly when VIR was introduced? Having a brain/sieve moment, best I can think of is early 50's?

It only lasted for 10 years or so then, did it?:sad3:
I think we had capping and casing for a lot longer than that.lol

The old Wylex 3036 CU'S were the standard/common replacement for the then even older wooden framed DP rewirable fuse boards. So it is more than possible that your Lead cable was there long before the Wylex CU . ...lol!!!

it was patented by a guy call chandler in 1881 its a mix of oil and bitumin so around 1881

This is in a Victorian property (due for rewire), so I suppose with those dates anything is possible! Amazingly, the examples that I can find (I think the place has been JB spider-web wired under the floors as most of the sockets are fed with a single 70's T&E pvc) are in remarkably good shape and not immediately showing signs of perishing. Haven't IR'd it as it'd be a pointless exercise given that it needs ripping out, but when it's in a heap at my feet then I'll get the meter on it just for fun.

Reply to Rough dates for VIR cable? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

An old and now deceased friend's place has some rewirable fuses with asbestos flash pads. They are long overdue for replacement and now that seems...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've just finished a contract working on a new build where, over the past 13 months, I've learned much of the ins and outs of modern...
Replies
Views
Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, I am wondering about becoming an electrician of some form or another and thought to come to an...
Replies
Views
I recently sold my Renault Trafic as it had done 214,000 miles and I also wanted something more economical. I bought the Citroen Berlingo LWB. A...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I have some industrial lighting circuits to wire in a workshop and was after some fresh ideas/suggestions as to how i could best do this...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock