Discuss Route to become an electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

powersellerirl

Hello,
I recently decided for a change in career and want to train as an electrician. Jobs seem to vary in my area, from testing to installations.

I have looked at a number of electricial intensive courses and am prepared to put in the work.
But can anyone give me an idea of the qualifications I need to work as a qualified electrician as every training provider seems to be training with different C&G exams and this has confused me greatly.

City & Guilds 17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations Logic Full Scope Electrical Part P Scheme ReactFast Electrical Installation Certificate
If I was to apply for a testing job, would I need to do another course, or would the three listed above allow me to do so?

Many Thanks

Hello,
I recently decided for a change in career and want to train as an electrician. Jobs seem to vary in my area, from testing to installations.

I have looked at a number of electricial intensive courses and am prepared to put in the work.
But can anyone give me an idea of the qualifications I need to work as a qualified electrician as every training provider seems to be training with different C&G exams and this has confused me greatly.

City & Guilds 17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations Logic Full Scope Electrical Part P Scheme ReactFast Electrical Installation Certificate
If I was to apply for a testing job, would I need to do another course, or would the three listed above allow me to do so?

Many Thanks

bit unsure of exactly what you are bieng offered

you should get

EAL Domestic Electrical Installer VRQ
C&G 2382-10 17th Edition regs
C&G 2392 Fundametal testing ang inspecting

and

C&G 2391 Inspectng and testing

Click on the forum sponsors, Access Training, for me details;)

Hello I'm new to this forum myself. I too have decided for a career change and being an electrician interests me. I had a look into these 'quick' courses but the way I see it is that you can't possibly learn everything in such a short time. These companies will get you the qualifications but they're only interested in your money so once they've got it you'll get no support. And to be fair with the amount of theory and practical that you need to learn it's not all going to be digested so if you wanted to go for your NVQ Level 3 it's going to be so much harder to do. I myself am doing the C&G Level 2&3 2330 course every wednesday night where I learn the practical aspects while doing the theory in my own time with any questions I can get answered by the course tutor. Though this isn't the best way through I think it is the only one I could get because being of 28 years of age I'm too old for the typical apprenticeship route and having a family means I can't afford to give in my job to do a course at college. I've not really been on this course for too long but like everything you learn as you go. What I'm wondering though is being an electrician what exactly do you need to know? This may seem an obvious question but I've read conflicting material telling me what I need to know. For example, circuit diagram symbols and electrical formulae etc. I'm working through my theory and although I understand most of it I don't always know why things are as they are, if I'm making any sense. I've been told I'm looking too deeply into these thing as it's only Level 2 but I like to be able to understand all aspects of what I learn. Sorry for typing such a long piece of text. I just like to learn as much as I can. Thank you.

thanks for your swift reply...

Maybe i have explained it wrong, so i have included the link to the place were this course is being offered.

Become an Electrician | Training Courses | Electric Courses | City & Guilds 2381

will this course enable me to work as a installer as well as a tester?

What exactly is the 'logic full scope'?????

take a look at NICEIC's website (or any of the others), and i dont think you will find this a criteria to join the DI scheme!

The recognised one is the EAL Domestic Electrical Installer course.

Additionally, you dont seem to be getting any Test and Inspect quals?

For that price you should be getting 2392 AND 2391

ANd £750 for the meter? The megger's can be picked up for £530 online - a minor point i know, but it all adds up dont it

We do a course including 2392 for at least a grand less, and for a similar price to you are paying, you would sit 2391 as well

But hey, you pays your money you takes your choice!

I had a look into these 'quick' courses but the way I see it is that you can't possibly learn everything in such a short time. These companies will get you the qualifications but they're only interested in your money so once they've got it you'll get no support. .

Really?

Been on one then have you?

What a crock!!!!!

We provide online and telephone support to our students for as long as they want it

Many of my ex-students have my mobile number

We assist in getting them placed with agencies etc, and pass on work to them as we get it.

Had a student phoned last week, wanted the regs number that says no 3036 fuses allowable for ordrinary persons - I looked it up for him and sorted it out

Was he a 4 week student? Even a 3 week student?

No - he had sat the ONE DAY 17th update course with me

ONe day, and i am giving him support!

So kindly keep your totally unqualified statements to yourself

And good luck with the 2330, it sounds like you could benefit from it;)

And good luck in three years or so when you start putting some of your theory into practice, you will be along side some of my guys who are on site in three weeks earning money:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Shakey

do you teach an intensive electrician course for cheaper?

please could you send me some contact details or a website so that I can talk further about possibly taking up training with yourself

Yes you're quite right I'm unqualified. I'm just talking from my experience with a company that I was going to learn with but I had a bad experience with them and obviously most tutors want the best for their students but the reason I came out with that statement was that because I wanted to enroll for both the Level 2 and 3 but I said I couldn't afford that much money and they told me that I could skip Level 2 and start on Level 3 straight away but I know you can't do that. And also because the nearest training centre was 80 miles away I was put off until they told me one was opening last year closer to my home but the build kept getting delayed and I had problems trying to contact people. Sorry if I've hurt people's feelings with my remarks.

What exactly is the 'logic full scope'?????

take a look at NICEIC's website (or any of the others), and i dont think you will find this a criteria to join the DI scheme!

The recognised one is the EAL Domestic Electrical Installer course.

Additionally, you dont seem to be getting any Test and Inspect quals?

For that price you should be getting 2392 AND 2391

ANd £750 for the meter? The megger's can be picked up for £530 online - a minor point i know, but it all adds up dont it

We do a course including 2392 for at least a grand less, and for a similar price to you are paying, you would sit 2391 as well

But hey, you pays your money you takes your choice!

Really?

Been on one then have you?

What a crock!!!!!

We provide online and telephone support to our students for as long as they want it

Many of my ex-students have my mobile number

We assist in getting them placed with agencies etc, and pass on work to them as we get it.

Had a student phoned last week, wanted the regs number that says no 3036 fuses allowable for ordrinary persons - I looked it up for him and sorted it out

Was he a 4 week student? Even a 3 week student?

No - he had sat the ONE DAY 17th update course with me

ONe day, and i am giving him support!

So kindly keep your totally unqualified statements to yourself

And good luck with the 2330, it sounds like you could benefit from it;)

And good luck in three years or so when you start putting some of your theory into practice, you will be along side some of my guys who are on site in three weeks earning money:rolleyes:

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzz and on and on and on he goes....

Carry on the way your going Rednik, you are going about it the right way.

re :route to becoming an electrician
nip down to local diy outlet pick up some pliers (ask for assisstance)some paint tin openers ,pick up some "how to"leaflets on the way out and your sorted
one week courses:eek:........ seems i wasted my time and money at technical college

ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzz and on and on and on he goes....

Carry on the way your going Rednik, you are going about it the right way.

well said

this guy is a forum troll. illusions of grandeur

re :route to becoming an electrician
nip down to local diy outlet pick up some pliers (ask for assisstance)some paint tin openers ,pick up some "how to"leaflets on the way out and your sorted
one week courses:eek:........ seems i wasted my time and money at technical college

see if you can get your money back on the sarcassm course. your sh***

well said

this guy is a forum troll. illusions of grandeur

see if you can get your money back on the sarcassm course. your sh***

What the f**k:mad::confused:

Firstly Rob, sorry if i have bored you fella, i was trying to answer a guys question, and amplify a point. How dare I actually talk to someone on the forum!

And you TC3

Who the hell are you?

what the hell makes you think you have the right to come on here and start insulting me? Do i know you? Have i upset you in some way?

Forum troll? Illusions of grandeur?

And only a few minutes ago i was posting against one of your replies saying how you had spoken 'wise words'

You two guys, i give up a LOT of my spare time helping people on here, but i am damned if i am going to do it to be insulted by the likes of you two:mad:

well thats me signing off, see ya round fellas, I got better things to do with my time

this fourm HAS been good, but lately there has been an 'undertone' to it that is like a bad smell

If Rob and TC3 are the standard of people we are going to get on here now, then quite frankly, its not for me

I personally think that strong views on a forum will always attract criticism at times as well as the positive comments, thats life!

take it with a pinch of salt and dont over-react, i think your views would be missed on the forum

Look out, Shakeys going somewhere else to play if people stand up to him.

Whatever next.

I think people are just fed up of listening to you waffling on all the time. You challenge everyones opinions and comments and then throw your toys out of your pram if they do it back. Even threatening my good self with legal action on one occasion because I posted a link to a multifunction tester for sale!

I think "forum troll" is the wrong terminology for you I agree. Perhaps "forum tw@t" is more suited?

In case you wondered Shakey, these forums are for the use of anyone who wishes to post in them. Not just for you to vent your feelings because youve been here since the beginning!

Get a life, after clicking on a link I posted to a tester you threatened me and was going to try to get my home address because the link contained spyware. Something I still have no knowledge of.

And you expect me to give you a hug now your upset

After posting the above last night ive thought about things and read your other thread Shakey.

There is no need to get to the point where you are staying awake at night worrying over what people think about you.

Yes you are a bit arrogant but it is only because your knowledge of electrical installations/engineering surpasses anyone elses here. I myself have asked for your help and advice on a number of occasions because of it.

If you left this forum it would be a terrible blow. I cant say I like your attitude here at times but your help to us all is valuable and I know I speak for everyone when I urge you to stay.

Hope that you can understand that though I think you do post without thinking sometimes you do know your stuff, second to none.

Dont stay away too long. I miss the banter already.

Reply to Route to become an electrician in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock