Discuss Routing of cables? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi,

Around 4 years ago I had an electric shower fitted by a 'jack of all trades' chap before I new anything about Part P. He basically left the cable along the floor, up against the skirting. I popped some trunking on it just to make it look a bit more tidy and protect it. The cable runs from the shower to DP switch outside of the downstairs shower room and then down from the switch to the floor (embedded in wall), along the floor (in trunking in the hallway) and then up vertically to the CU.

I want to run the cable behind the skirting, so my question is : Do I need to enclose the cable in earthed metal conduit or can I use normal plastic capping?

If it was plastered I wouldn't be questioning it, it would have to be protected as it is outside of the permitted route and less than 50mm from any surface, but it wouldn't be plastered in as its got the skirting covering it.

Thanks.

Cables behind skirting is bad practice. Skirting is one part of the fabric that people would not think twice about banging nails through or drilling holes in. But I would be more interested to hear whether you have rcd protection on this circuit. If not then you really ought to consider doing so, even if just for this one circuit.

Cables behind skirting is bad practice. Skirting is one part of the fabric that people would not think twice about banging nails through or drilling holes in. But I would be more interested to hear whether you have rcd protection on this circuit. If not then you really ought to consider doing so, even if just for this one circuit.

It does have RCD protection, but even so that will just be classed as additional protection only, in other words I think I need earthed metal conduit!!! Bugger! Perhaps I'll just buy some of that nice looking brown trunking specifically for concealing cables along the outside of skirting.

Just as a thought, would earthed metal capping be sufficient? Other threads seem inconclusive on this.

could yuou not just lift the boards and run it properly?

Lifting the floor boards is not really an option as there is laminate and tiles.

Metal capping does not count as mechanical protection. You need about 3mm thick steel. Why not protect the cable with a steel plate?

Could you point me in the direction of steel plating approx 5m's by min of 5cm's. I imagine its pretty expensive compared to skirting trunking.

Although I dont agree with running cables behind skirting, how likely is it in reality that someone will be putting nails and screws into finished woodwork.

I have to agree with this, but I'm not experienced enough to make that decision and intend to stick to the regs.

Reply to Routing of cables? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net