Discuss rule of thumb ?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

i just done the 2391 and there was some confusion on this through the course

what i understand is the tables quoted in the 17th(41.2-41.4) are for cables operating at their max working temp .however when you take a measurement the cables could be at lower temp thus giving a higher reading the 0.8 is to take this into account without further calculation.
please correct me if im wrong

however when you take a measurement the cables could be at lower temp thus giving a higher reading the 0.8 is to take this into account without further calculation.
please correct me if im wrong

Surely if the cable temperature is lower then the reading will also be lower:confused:

Surely if the cable temperature is lower then the reading will also be lower:confused:

Yes, the reading will be lower, so you take 80% of the tabulated reading as the maximum, because at working temp the actual Zs will be higher
Wayne is basicallly right just got his temp the wrong way around

what i need to know is if on the 2391 exam they ask for the "rule of thumb" do you use 3/4 ( GN3 ) OR 0.8 ( BS7671 17TH ED. ) ???

am i getting the laws of thermodynamics wrong ?if the temperature increases so does the resistance?

yes you are and yes it does (think of a 'superconductor' which must be at absolute zero or bloody chilly anyway):p

what i need to know is if on the 2391 exam they ask for the "rule of thumb" do you use 3/4 ( GN3 ) OR 0.8 ( BS7671 17TH ED. ) ???

And the answer (from C&G) is

as long as YOU make it clear what you answering to

ie 3/4 ( BS7671:2001 as ammended 2004)

or

0.8 (BS7671:2008)

then either will be acceptable

you cant be 'wrong' either way, there is nothing wrong in saying both either

think of what you are saying to the examiner:

"Fella, I know what i am talking about"

and to answer any other query which is kicking about - yes the last 16th edition based 2391 exam has gone, and it is now 17th edition based;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Im Doing My 2391 This Week,4 Day Course And They Still Teaching It To 16th And Will Be Until The New Gn3 Comes Out It Gets Bloody Confusing Right After Doing 17th Upgrade.

Thanks for reply shakey cos i've just done my course to 16th notes even though as you say exam to 17th. All very confusing at times and a poor show by the powers that be who release all the reading material i.e. BS7671, GN3, + on site guide.

Im Doing My 2391 This Week,4 Day Course And They Still Teaching It To 16th And Will Be Until The New Gn3 Comes Out It Gets Bloody Confusing Right After Doing 17th Upgrade.

and there lies the problem - no 17th GN3 (as you know)

personally, i am going to teach the theory to 17th, the practical hasnt changed

C&G have made it clear that as long as you state what you are answering to, it 'should' be ok

However, if you are asked a question about methods of basic or fault protection (for example) , these are clearly 17th edition questions, you would not need to refer to GN3 to answer these, and I cant see how you could possibly answer them to the 16th

They will no doubt talk about ADS instead of EEBADS, refer to protective equipotential bonding, and the new IR values

I think a few people could be on a sticky wicked sticking 'too rigidly' to their 16th edition answers:rolleyes:

Just Out Of Interest Shakey What Is The Percentage You Need To Achieve To Make Sure You Pass ,we Been Told To Aim For At Least 70 Percent But I Have Heard Others Say Lower Not That Im Aiming For Any Less Than 70 Percent Myself.lol

Just Out Of Interest Shakey What Is The Percentage You Need To Achieve To Make Sure You Pass ,we Been Told To Aim For At Least 70 Percent But I Have Heard Others Say Lower Not That Im Aiming For Any Less Than 70 Percent Myself.lol

well C&G wont release it

and they actually change it AFTER marking the exam acording to "the qulaity of the candidate"

there are 150 marks on the paper, and i have 'heard;)' that you need 80-90 marks to be safe

I've just read your reply about 2391 now being done to the 17th. I hope not because I have my 2391 theory tonight

Reply to rule of thumb ?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock