Discuss Rules on testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Msparks

Ok so been away for a good few years work abroad and my past exp of signing off work that's been tested is almost none. So give me a break if I ask any basic questions and such like.
What I'd like to know is in domestic :-

Can any electrician test and write a EIC? Or do they need part P or there testing and inspecting tickets? Can an electrician test other peoples work or do the need there part p or testing and inspecting ticket?
i ask these question because I have read conflicting thing.
Basically I've been qualified for 8 years and in those year I've worked for company's so never got into the testing side as far as writing MWC or EIC. I friend of mine has asked me if I can write a bs 7671 cert for a domestic property he had a new circuit installed in.
I don't have my part P or testing and inspecting ticket.
Sorry for the life story any help would be great

thanks

I friend of mine has asked me if I can write a bs 7671 cert for a domestic property he had a new circuit installed in.
Are you happy completing an EIC as it would be your own work then? Also, new circuit is notifiable work so if not Part P registered you can notify build control for a fee.

Part P is all about self certification, for work YOU have designed, installed and inspected. Under the current situation there isn't a "legal" way to do 3rd party sign off.

To comply with Part P,

1. you need scheme membership

or

2. convince the local BC that you have competence & qualifications

or

3. Pay local BC for them to test and sign off.

Its as easy as that.

There is nothing conflicting about this content - this is the situation in England.

Thanks for the quick reply. So if I wanted to test and cert other peoples work what would I need to do? As I'm guessing from what you boys are saying I currently cannot.

Join a "regulatory body" because they are the guardians of electrical safety and will check your competency.
Or
Pay LABC

Thanks for the quick reply. So if I wanted to test and cert other peoples work what would I need to do? As I'm guessing from what you boys are saying I currently cannot.

You would have to join a scheme and sign them all of as your own. Not a road I would go down.

NICEIC are a charity after all. Bless their cotton socks :)
i pi$$ on their cotton socks and wish the sons of camels to suffer from horrible diseases until they pull their fingers out and scrap the cash cow DI abortion.

abdul ackbar, arabian spark.

Sadly not. JIB membership means that you have passed all the quals and have the experience to call yourself a properly qualified electrician. However, that is totally different from enrolling with the guardians of electrical safey, they require a lot less qualifications and a lot more money.

As far as I'm aware inspection and testing does not fall within the remit of Part P.
All electrical work should have the appropriate inspection and testing carried out irrespective of the qualifications or competence of the installer.
There has been an allowance made for 3rd party inspection and testing of work for Part P.
However to date it appears there is no mechanism in place to allow this to happen.

It is technically possible under Part P for a 3 part EIC to be issued, where the installer signs for design and construction and a 3rd party for the I&T.
Don't know whether any of the competent persons schemes allow such at present, it may only be possible when notifying through the LABC?

Ok so been away for a good few years work abroad and my past exp of signing off work that's been tested is almost none. So give me a break if I ask any basic questions and such like.
What I'd like to know is in domestic :-

Can any electrician test and write a EIC? Or do they need part P or there testing and inspecting tickets? Can an electrician test other peoples work or do the need there part p or testing and inspecting ticket?
i ask these question because I have read conflicting thing.
Basically I've been qualified for 8 years and in those year I've worked for company's so never got into the testing side as far as writing MWC or EIC. I friend of mine has asked me if I can write a bs 7671 cert for a domestic property he had a new circuit installed in.
Sorry for the life story any help would be great

thanks
So with limited or no experience of testing and certs you want to know how to sign off other peoples work. Are you mad or stupid?

Join a "regulatory body" because they are the guardians of electrical safety and will check your competency.
Or
Pay LABC

Ha ha, .... I nearly fell off my chair laughing at that tongue in cheek quib!!

The damn problem is, ...it's actually the true state of affairs in England and Wales, and it's not funny at all!!

Msparks, if you want to certify someone else's Part P notifiable work then you have to become a "registered third-party certifier" by being accredited as a competent person by a "third-party certification scheme". Note that this is separate from being a "registered competent person" with a self-certification scheme although both schemes are run by the same companies.

This has only been the case since last month.

See https://www.gov.uk/third-party-certification-schemes-for-domestic-electrical-work

Msparks, if you want to certify someone else's Part P notifiable work then you have to become a "registered third-party certifier" by being accredited as a competent person by a "third-party certification scheme". Note that this is separate from being a "registered competent person" with a self-certification scheme although both schemes are run by the same companies.

This has only been the case since last month.

See https://www.gov.uk/third-party-certification-schemes-for-domestic-electrical-work
Ok.now point us at anyone who operates such a scheme! Elecsa and the niceic have stated they won't run such schemes

Thanks for the info all. I have been called mad and stupid before Murdoch but for other things, in this case I have done lots of testing but never cert's and in those cases I was working for a company with other sparkys so never got to fill in a test sheet.

Murdoch, as it says on that page: BSI, NAPIT and Stroma have agreed to run the schemes. Elecsa and NICEIC have other axes to grind.

This change only applies in England BTW. Wales and Scotland are excepted.

Murdoch, as it says on that page: BSI, NAPIT and Stroma have agreed to run the schemes. Elecsa and NICEIC have other axes to grind.

This change only applies in England BTW. Wales and Scotland are excepted.
Live and learn something new every day.... not that I want to pay EVEN more money to a scheme or test other sparks work....

EDIT: Just read this on the Napit site:

"NAPIT membership includes third party inspection and testing as long as the member is fully qualified and has the relevant experience to carry out this service and is present at first & second fix. When completing the Electrical Installation Certificate, in the case of a 3-part certificate only the 'inspection and testing' portion should be completed, if using the NAPIT Electrical Certificate you should indicate in the 'limitations' section that the certificate does not cover design or construction. In each case the details of the installer should be included on the certificate.

Please note that this approach should not be used to notify work under Part P as this is not allowed. See the question & answer below. Members carrying out third party inspecting and testing must also have £250,000 of Professional Indemnity Insurance which is a separate policy from Public Liability. For details of our discounted insurance please contact our Customer Services team on 0845 543 0330 ."

So that infers you can't just be called in earlier and need to be present to inspect the earlier stages.

Wonder how many people are signing up?

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a strange thing for NAPIT to say as that is the whole point of the new scheme - that a person other than the installer can notify BC via a scheme.

I would guess that NAPIT haven't updated their website on this at present and that things will become clearer once they do.

Reply to Rules on testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock