• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Run power to kitchen Island - pyro cable through ufh screed - East London in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

IanG

-
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an open plan flat and want to get power to a kitchen island. I really want to avoid getting it through a pole from the ceiling. It's a new build approximately 13 years and has under floor heating. I believe it is electrical under floor heating, and from making a drill hole under a door threshold, it seems the screed is 60mm deep. I was hoping it will be possible to cut a channel in the screed and run approximately 1.5m of pyro, or higly heat proof cable, to the location of the island. If this is possible and someone is qualified to do the job then please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Three things can happen.

You will successfully cut a small channel in the screed to lay you cable. You will successfully cut a small channel in the screed to lay you cable, but damage your electric ufh. You will successfully cut a small channel in the screed to lay you cable, not damage your electric ufh, but eventually created a heat spot, which will cause the electric ufh to fail.

Or fourthly, diss your electric ufh heating, cos its ecologically unsound (over large areas). ;)

If you know the manufacturer of your electric ufh, you could seek their advice, on your proposals.

Technically a channel isn't a hole so maybe it's ok ;) Just kidding. I appreciate the responses. I've read in a few forums that people, some of which I believe are electricians, have done this. But unfortunately it sounds like it's bad practise.

I have no idea of the manufacturer. The underfloor heating was installed during construction and I only moved into the property about 1 year ago.

Hi Ian - as you probably already knew, cutting into your floor with its heating cables is not likely to end well. Sorry buddy.

I suppose if the OP has deep pockets he could budget to rip the floor up and completely re-lay it...................

none of the options are particularly desirable, could sacrifice it, as most UFH systems I come across are so poorly installed that they are more of a novelty than functional and once they go wrong, they are often forgot about anyway,

unless he drilling for oil .why do people think they can start drilling holes knowing their is a UFH system .

Looking online at seemingly knowledgeable people that seem to have done the same thing. Hopefully anyone attempting the same thing will now find this thread and know otherwise

none of the options are particularly desirable, could sacrifice it, as most UFH systems I come across are so poorly installed that they are more of a novelty than functional and once they go wrong, they are often forgot about anyway,

This has also been a consideration. I barely used it last year and when I did I found it to be quite poor and very expensive. My guess was, as you said, that it's either poorly installed or a cheap system. I've bought a panel heater for my bedroom because the underfloor heating in there is useless. The underfloor heating in the room in question, 10m x 4.5m, only has one control unit so I would be writing it off for quite a large area. However I'm not attached to it and was already considering getting panel heaters for that space. My only concern would be what a potential buyer might think if/when it comes to selling.

Again, as you mentioned, I think it's only a matter of time before it goes wrong. I'd be pretty annoyed if, after constructing a column for the electricity, the underfloor heating stopped working.

*Some people have done it."

Not in your house though. There are many different types of mat, different depths of screed, different methods of install, different installers. There are too many variables!

I personally have cut a channel in a screed with UFH, I was able to speak to the builders and plumber who had installed it and knew I had a good 35mm to play with, also the fact it was a wet UFH system meant I knew the exact flow temp and the fact it could be fixed if required was a bonus.

As others have said if you damage the mat it's game over - it's your house, your choice!

Not a good idea my friend don't touch the floor if theres ufh installed or you might regret it

Old thread I know, but Ive successfully done it using a thermal imaging camera to mark out the heating cables and then gun up the floor around them. A bit time consuming, and i wouldn't never guarantee that a cable would not be damaged, but not impossible.

Reply to Run power to kitchen Island - pyro cable through ufh screed - East London in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock