Discuss Running 10mm swa in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mighty_G

Hi all,

I've got a 10mm cable exiting the house (on the left), and an existing 2.5mm cable running to the garage (on the right).

I want to replace the 2.5mm with 10mm swa, and have a wispa box to form the junction, questions are

Do I terminate the 10mm t&e as it exits the house into the box wispa box, or run the t&e up to existing junction box and put the wispa box there?

If I do run the swa cable from the point of exit from the house how do I get it shaped to go around the corner of the house?

Any help / advice appreciated

Thanks

Running 10mm swa {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

not enough info here. Q1. what is t&amp?
Q2. why go round corner when you can bury SWA in a trecnh?
Q3. Where is the 10mm SWA being supplies from?

not enough info here. Q1. what is t&amp?
Q2. why go round corner when you can bury SWA in a trecnh?
Q3. Where is the 10mm SWA being supplies from?

1. There'll be a 50 AMP MCB at the other end of the 10mm t&e

2. Cable is going to replace an existing cable run at height

3. Consumer unit inside the house

Basically the installation is a replacement of existing external t&e with SWA, but going from 2.5mm to 10mm to allow the garage to be upgraded for more workshop tools

thanks

Paul

Think it would be better if you got someone in who knows what they are about, an Electrician

I'm running the cable, electrician is doing connections but he's on holiday for 2 weeks

Hi Mighty_G.
So you have discussed this change with your electrician?
Your electrician has asked you to do this change?
He is happy to sign off your work?

I'm running the cable, electrician is doing connections but he's on holiday for 2 weeks

Has your electrician done any calculations as to what size cable you actually need? has he decided on the cable run, the installation method? to be bluntly honest, the description of the install method is a bit hit and miss, not your fault as you are obviously not an Electrician.
Perhaps you could sketch out a plan of the building you are going to supply and the route to the existing consumers unit.

I can appreciate you would like to save money by doing the donkey work yourself, but in the long run I still feel you would do better by getting the entire work done by an Electrican, spend wisely as they say, good luck.

Last edited:
If I do run the swa cable from the point of exit from the house how do I get it shaped to go around the corner of the house?

Surely, the suspension wire is anchored to the same wall as the new cable exits the house, so no need to go round the corner?

How long is the overhead run?

I'd try really hard to put this 10mm² SWA clipped to walls and underground. Overhead will always be more trouble in the future.

Hi Mighty_G.
So you have discussed this change with your electrician?
Your electrician has asked you to do this change?
He is happy to sign off your work?

Yup, discussed and he's happy to sign off, i've done the cabling for the internal renovation and we've worked the same way.

Basically agreed with him i'd run the SWA to the garage, this is to be in place for a couple of years until we build an extension from house to garage. But we didn't discuss the junction box location, hence the questions, however...

....good point on running from the existing wall, i was thinking of simply following the old route directly.

cheers

Paul

10mm? What are you planning to do in your garage? Seems over kill to me

OP says in post #3 that he's having a 50A breaker fitted to the 10mm. That's a lot of power for a garage.

I saw that but that's more than houses pull!

True. The OP must have powerful 'workshop tools' or a massive garage.

You'd better make sure the catenary is fixed suitably, that's a heavy bit of cable you're putting on it.

You don't want to be up a ladder in a storm trying to fix the hole in the wall where the catenary pulled half a dozen bricks out!

You'd better make sure the catenary is fixed suitably, that's a heavy bit of cable you're putting on it.

You don't want to be up a ladder in a storm trying to fix the hole in the wall where the catenary pulled half a dozen bricks out!
Good point :)

In answer to the questions on the power, there's a bandsaw, table saw, planer thicknesses and extractor, May not need as much as 50 amp but I'm putting the cable in just in case

Good point :)

In answer to the questions on the power, there's a bandsaw, table saw, planer thicknesses and extractor, May not need as much as 50 amp but I'm putting the cable in just in case

You'll only be using one or two of these at any one time though right ?

Yup that's true, sparky and I did have a debate about 6mm, is that 46amp capacity clipped?

Reply to Running 10mm swa in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock