Discuss Running a cable along railing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Moving office onto portacabin on the other side of yard . Told my boss could do a straight run across underground across yard ("that fine ") ,told him it needs to be 600mm depth as we have wagon run over the area (not fine) . Now he's talking about going the longer way round and could i attach to the railing . I've seen many case when runs for sheds or garage s have been screwed to the fence ,but never seen one along a railing.

Moving office onto portacabin on the other side of yard . Told my boss could do a straight run across underground across yard ("that fine ") ,told him it needs to be 600mm depth as we have wagon run over the area (not fine) . Now he's talking about going the longer way round and could i attach to the railing . I've seen many case when runs for sheds or garage s have been screwed to the fence ,but never seen one along a railing.
God I give up, along a railing

I'm guessing it's the economics of it he's objecting to. It's probably going to take you longer to bury it and thus cost more than it is to un-reel it and simply cable tie it to a railing.

I'd be looking for technical reasons that you could use against it... is it a much longer run? If so, run the numbers for voltage drop and predicted Zs at the end of the run. You may need to use a bigger cable and obviously the cost increase is proportionate to the length, that could be enough to tip it if it's just the economies he's thinking about.

You could also raise the issue of mechanical damage (and any other external influences that may be relevant to the 'yard'). You mention trucks. SWA is fairly tough against a spade, but I'm fairly confident it won't do so well against a 'truck'. If there is a lot of vehicular traffic, accidents do happen. And if he comes back with something like well they'll hit the railing first, you can suggest that because it's attached it's entirely possible a larger section of cable will be damaged in a single incident requiring the expense of new cable and resin joints, although I suspect he might suggest choc-blocks and PVC tape is sufficient ;)

The potential for damage comes into play if what is going on in the office is critical to the business? If it's a sales function for example, no sales = no money (business won't like), no power due to damage of cable = no sales (most businesses rely heavily on PCs, no power = no PCs). The criticality of infrastructure and business function is sometimes a useful weapon. Half a days lost productivity in the cabin could cost more than the time taken to bury the thing in the first place.

I'm with Pete, I'm assuming he means this... do the job properly and bury it. It's safe and sound then.

I've never understood why people fix it to their fences either. And if you think his decision might come back and bite you in the a$$ down the line, I'd be sending him an email highlighting your concerns :)

The railing at he back he of the yard no chance of hitting with truck ,would be run about 400mm off the floor so not much chance of being covered with soil and railing are well steel colour so cable will be visable . It just feels a bit rough (it is a glorified scrapyard with 90% of the lads working here just out of prison ), just can't think of a reason why it's wrong

Was thinking for a moment saying if live cable somehow get damaged and miss's the earthed armour but hit the railing a dangerous voltage could sit there waiting to kill one of are inmates , but the posts are buried about 2and a half foot down and have probably a better earth than the mains

Mechanical damage and as I say, I'd run the numbers, scrapyards can be pretty big, could be enough to make it uneconomical if it requires the next size up in cable.

Is the 'railing' a fence which separates you from another yard/site? If so, what goes on in there? Could be they pose a threat to it. Will the cable be supported vertically along it's length? If it's not running a long a cross bar, it could be you wont be able to achieve satisfactory support.

And finally, if you're the qualified spark on-site, I'm guessing you'll be the one signing it off, you could refuse but obviously that has the potential to damage your employment status. Guess it depends how much you're willing to stand up for your principles. It's a difficult situation when bosses don't listen, particularly when experienced people are giving them good advice.

Nothing wrong with ex cons (Westward 08976C2, awaiting room inspection sir), old habits die hard.

Are these railings a good structure, I agree it should be buried but if it were a wall I bet you would use it.

Are these railings a good structure, I agree it should be buried but if it were a wall I bet you would use it.
this is true but maybe because I've never seen it done before you start to question it , but the best i can come up with is that it rough . As for the catenary wire it's possible but we have wagon moving skips round and the boom probably go up to about seven meter witch is around the height of the roof . Maybe it's just me being picky . Definitely going to check the TT system (railing ) in respect of the main earth

A nice long run of SWA along a set of railings sounds like it could be vunerable for theft.. you might want to weight that up in the cost calculations if its a bit of a dodgy area
. I like it did not think of that , never mind the cost what if someone hurts themselves £££££ it's like advertising free copper (throw the steel away it's not worth the time )

Reply to Running a cable along railing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net