Discuss Running a lighting cable in ceiling plasterboard - wrong? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

luckyNot

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I understand from the wiring regs that if I am to run a cable through a ceiling/floor joist I have to adhere to certain rules to keep it safe -50mm/armour etc.
I currently have a plasterboard ceiling with some holes in it. My plasterer will put another layer of plaster board over this when doing the ceiling.

Can I cut channels in the current plaster board to run my cables, thereby avoiding the joists?

The cables will be visible to the plaster who can then place new plasterboard over the current board and wires.

To me this is the same as wires above a false ceiling - having just had a professional wiring job done with false ceiling, I can see it is acceptable to lay wires on top of false ceiling, so am I ok?

My wiring runs will be cross joist so I really dont want to have to cut holes in my ceiling and drill my joists.

Any advice/guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks

done exactly that a few times (notched the joists) for downlights. it could be argued that in the ceiling is not a prescribed zone. to be certain, you could plate over the cables with 3mm steel. this would prevent anyone nailing into them, but the risk is minimal.

is the circuit RCD protected?

see no problem. might notcomly to the letter of bullsh1t7671, but.......

Reply to Running a lighting cable in ceiling plasterboard - wrong? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I am trying to replace an old ceiling light with a new one. My current connection has 3 wires and not sure how I should be wiring this...
Replies
Views
hello, i am just about to completely rewire a refurbished house. i have done the same to several houses in the distant past. i have just read...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some advice on the wiring for a new ceiling light. I have taken down the original light, and I'm left with the wiring in the image...
Replies
Views
Hi, there are 3 bundles of wires coming from my ceiling and I've been told they have been tested with a multimeter and have all got a current but...
Replies
Views
L
WIRING FOR WALL SMART SWITCH FOR CEILING FAN/LIGHT Just bought a smart wall switch for a ceiling fan/light currently connected to a single switch...
Replies
Views
littletwinn
L

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock