Discuss Running cable behind wood cladding in safe zones in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

shinypen

Hi

I am cladding a room in wood panelling and need to move some wall lights and sockets. The cables are RCD protected. Is it allowed to run them along the "horizontal safe zone within 150mm of the top of a wall" and then vertically down to the light switch/socket? Do they need mechanical protection?

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere and thanks for any help!

Rob.

yes. it's same regs. as for dry lined walls, which is the closest to your scenario. as long as the safe zones are adhered to.

Hi

I am cladding a room in wood panelling and need to move some wall lights and sockets. The cables are RCD protected. Is it allowed to run them along the "horizontal safe zone within 150mm of the top of a wall" and then vertically down to the light switch/socket? Do they need mechanical protection?

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere and thanks for any help!

Rob.

Don't see why not

Don't see why not

I know it all complies with the regs etc. But to me it does seem against the grain. I would of never of done the 150mm thing when on the tools lol.
Am i right in thinking lets say a row of skts above a kitchen worktop, that you can now wire horizontally from skt to skt as opposed to dropping down to each one?

m i right in thinking lets say a row of skts above a kitchen worktop, that you can now wire horizontally from skt to skt as opposed to dropping down to each one?

​that's quite clear in the osg.

m i right in thinking lets say a row of skts above a kitchen worktop, that you can now wire horizontally from skt to skt as opposed to dropping down to each one?

​that's quite clear in the osg.

ok thanks, just wanted it confirming really. What about when you get a situation whereby you wire an outside wall light point? Internal wiring then drill through wall to wall light point. In the past i would try and make it as obvious as possible that cables were buired in the wall by lets say wiring a skt below where the light cable will be. However not always practical to have a skt there, therefore, not so obvious that a cable is there Sorry long winded , hope makes sense.

ok thanks, just wanted it confirming really. What about when you get a situation whereby you wire an outside wall light point? Internal wiring then drill through wall to wall light point. In the past i would try and make it as obvious as possible that cables were buired in the wall by lets say wiring a skt below where the light cable will be. However not always practical to have a skt there, therefore, not so obvious that a cable is there Sorry long winded , hope makes sense.

in this case , an accessory must be on the same horizontal or vertical plane to the route the cable takes before it passes through the wall to the outside light , otherwise that cable would need additional mechanical protection.

i'll leave you to ponder that for a while :-D

they are , but only for a single leaf ( i.e. internal ) wall.

and as most external walls are twin skin cavities , cable zones cannot be transposed from 1 side to the other

Reply to Running cable behind wood cladding in safe zones in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net