Discuss Running cable beneath sub floor? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
A customer has asked for a complete rewire for their house that they are doing work on. he has had to put in a new floor everywhere downstairs as it was wooden joists and he wants it solid. He is building it up with hardcore then a concrete subfloor on top of that (about 4 inches). on top of that there is dpm then celotex, he is having UFH so that will go on top of the celotex followed by screed.
what would be the easiest way to run the ring for the sockets. i want to try and avoid running it in the ceiling void and dropping down to the sockets as it will mean taking up a lot of floorboards.
thanks

Probably only other option is to run conduit before floor is laid but I would just lift floorboards upstairs once you get some up you should find a good route for cables without lifting too many

Since concrete is classed a mechanical protector, i assume i can run it in conduit on top of the hardcore and lay the concrete sub floor on top?

he wants it solid. He is building it up with hardcore then a concrete subfloor on top of that (about 4 inches). on top of that there is dpm then celotex, he is having UFH so that will go on top of the celotex followed by screed.
it would be better for the cables to come down from the first flooring has andy says, considering the cables might get damaged are you going to go back to start jack hammering the floor up ,me thinks knot .

If this is "complete rewire" then you are going to need upstairs floorboards up for the lighting, also the upstairs sockets.

So the only advantage in putting the downstairs sockets under the floor is a bit less chasing of cables into the walls?

Recently completed a job which was a large vaulted oak beam building..
I got the main contractor to leave an open channel around the perimeter..
Cables were routed through and then boarded over afterwards

just wondering why customer wants to get rid of a perfectly sound wood floor and replace with bloody concrete. it's not the third reich any more ( unless it's got dry rot, then new timber, seasoned over years and logged by the following, why?)

Reply to Running cable beneath sub floor? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock