• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Running cable in plasterboard in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gafin

Hi All,

Question for you all.

Installing a heated bathroom mirror in a bathroom in a mid terraced house, I've drilled into the plasterboard (1/2" thick) to find it lays directly on the breeze blocks and there is no void.

What would be the best way to run the cable up to the loft above the room.

Cut a channel into the plasterboard, run the 1.5 T&E in and then plaster over it, or.....

Install a section of conduit on the wall down to the light? Would have to be steel to go with the chrome in the room!

Your thoughts and feelings are appreciated............

sparks1234

Electrician's Arms
It is quite a good idea to install a bit of small oval so that when you come to install it you just push the flex up the tube stick your mirror back and then connect the cables in a JB in the loft

Des 56

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY
Cut a section out of the plasterboard, chisel it in deeper, replace plasterboard then get your trowel out

Mark.W

Electrician's Arms
I agree with Des chase out the wall and plaster over. I always try burying my cables, it just looks better than a piece of conduit stuck on the wall.:D

EddieB

Electrician's Arms
I assume the bathroom is upstairs, If I push a terminal screwdriver thro the ceiling where you intend to put the fitting go up into the loft and locate the screwdriver and then drill down using something like a 10mm drill in the wall, Measure how far down you want to be and mark the same distance on drill with tape. go back down into bathroom and drill into the wall SLOWLY and with a bit of messing around you will locate the hole you've drilled down. Easy as that and no plastering just a bit of hole filling which most of us can manage. I thank you!!

G

gafin

Hi all,

Thanks very much for all the replies so far... I brought some 16mm oval conduit (the smallest I could get) but it doesn't sit flush with the plaster so I don't think the conduit approach will work...

How wrong would it be to put the twin and earth in the channel I've cut out and just plaster over it? Could anybody see any issues with this?

I know I will have to put the lighting circuit on the rcd side of the CU under the 17th.

G

gafin

I only have 1/2" of plasterboard before the breeze blocks, and 13mm capping is just over half a inch before any plaster so would leave a raised strip after plastering....

M

Mac

Chase the breeze block out mate.Is the plasterboard dabbed onto the breeze block

Des 56

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
DIY
Capping achieves nothing other than conveniance and protection against the plasterers trowel
Bury the cable directly under the plaster by clipping against the breeze wall
Reference method would then be C Clipped direct in masonary wall

ian.settle1

Forum Mentor
Electrician's Arms
CCTV / Alarms
Trainee Access
Hi All,

Question for you all.

Installing a heated bathroom mirror in a bathroom in a mid terraced house, I've drilled into the plasterboard (1/2" thick) to find it lays directly on the breeze blocks and there is no void.

What would be the best way to run the cable up to the loft above the room.

Cut a channel into the plasterboard, run the 1.5 T&E in and then plaster over it, or.....

Install a section of conduit on the wall down to the light? Would have to be steel to go with the chrome in the room!

Your thoughts and feelings are appreciated............

Don't forget it will have to have an RCD protecting it as it is less then 50mm and also in a bathroom which is a special location which also will require notification to the LABC.

G

gafin

Thanks to everyone for there help. - out of interest what would people charge for the job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.