Discuss Running Cable to Garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
We are going to run Teck90 or ACWU cable underground from house to garage. There will be just a 60A breaker in the house and garage for now but want to lay a large enough cable to carry 100A in the future. We have approximately 60 ft of ACWU #3/0 aluminum to make the run. It is about 2" in diameter, the 3/0 conductors are close to 1/2" so it's over sized which will make it a little more work to install.
Some answers to my questions might make it easier.
- With the cable being just under 2" diameter what diameter does the PVC conduit have to be up to the LB fitting? Is 2 1/2" good enough? 4" seems like overkill.
- We need to run the 3/0 into a transition box, then come out of the box with #3AWG because the 3/0 won't fit the panel.
If I can't tame this configuration down a bit, maybe we'll just buy some ACWU with #3AWG copper.

This is a UK based forum, so I’m afraid your terminology is getting lost in translation.

Have to admit, the OP has posted in the correct section of the forum.
I forgot we had a 'Non UK Electrical Works' section.

Thanks @Spoon , I know it now.... it’s right next to the non-electrician electrical works forum. AKA I did it myself but I’m going to blame the last spark forum, AKA it’s only 3 wires innit forum

My terminology gets lost any place I go but I was unaware this was a UK based forum! It's been a fun discussion but I need to zero in closer to home codes. So long from the land of the CEC.

I guess it's too late for me to edit my original post. It is not UK in nature, and was poorly written with incorrect terminology so I will revise it here:

We are thinking of running ACWU 3/0 AWG from house to garage (because it is free material). The #3/0 AWG is too big to work with in the panel so we would have to use a transition box. Can the LB be used for that?

Is using this free oversized material going to be more headache than it is worth? The CEC conductor ampacity chart says #1 AWG aluminum is good for 100A.

I will explain the acronyms in my next post. Thanks.

ACWU (not Ammalgamated Clothing Workers Union:) cable is for exposed and concealed wiring in dry or wet locations where exposed to the weather, and hazardous places. It has aluminum conductors, and a spiral flexible armor but no inner sheath around the conductor bundle.

TECK cable is of Canadian origin but used in many places around the world now. It has similar application but has copper conductors, an inner sheath, and a spiral flexible armor. 2 or 3 times more expensive than ACWU.

AWG: American Wire Gauge
LB: Stands for line box. It is often used at the point where you will begin pulling wire through the conduit.
CEC: Canadian Electrical Code

Have a good day UK.

Sometimes free is just too expensive, for such a short run just use the proper sized conductors, it will be a better and cleaner install. BTW, trying to splice 3/0 in a LB would be like trying to stuff 10 pounds of manure in a 5 pound bag, not sure about the CEC, but the NEC would not allow it, there is insufficient volume to do so.

Sometimes free is just too expensive, for such a short run just use the proper sized conductors, it will be a better and cleaner install. BTW, trying to splice 3/0 in a LB would be like trying to stuff 10 pounds of manure in a 5 pound bag, not sure about the CEC, but the NEC would not allow it, there is insufficient volume to do so.
LOL! I like that one, I'm going to use it. 10lbs into 5lb bag:)
I was going to use a six inch box instead of an LB. I would be transitioning to 1 AWG in the box using 1/2 split bolts. I would rather use the 1AWG for sure but I'm going to do the arithmatic because the TECK fittings etc. are more expensive and it might neutralize any savings anyway. Thanks

I guess it's too late for me to edit my original post. It is not UK in nature, and was poorly written with incorrect terminology so I will revise it here:

We are thinking of running ACWU 3/0 AWG from house to garage (because it is free material). The #3/0 AWG is too big to work with in the panel so we would have to use a transition box. Can the LB be used for that?

Is using this free oversized material going to be more headache than it is worth? The CEC conductor ampacity chart says #1 AWG aluminum is good for 100A.

I will explain the acronyms in my next post. Thanks.
Could have fooled me, I wouldn't have picked up on poor terminology as I am clueless about american/Canadian electrical practices

Using a 6X6 box is WAAAAAY too small for 3/0, it would be like stuffing 20 pounds of poop in a 5 pound bag, while I like Polaris connectors because they are simple & clean, they are not cheap, but split bolts (Kearnys) are not cheap either & they still have to be insulated, unlike Polaris connectors.

Do you not use DIN terminals over there?

If I was joining a large cable to a smaller one in such a situation I'd use an enclosure with bolted type DIN terminals in it.
If the cable isn't too far oversized I would use reducing pin lugs on it to fit the terminals.

Or even use an incomer for the DB which has bolted terminals and fit a spreader box to the DB.

or he could try wire nuts. an American delicacy. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We are going to run Teck90 or ACWU cable underground from house to garage. There will be just a 60A breaker in the house and garage for now but want to lay a large enough cable to carry 100A in the future. We have approximately 60 ft of ACWU #3/0 aluminum to make the run. It is about 2" in diameter, the 3/0 conductors are close to 1/2" so it's over sized which will make it a little more work to install.
Some answers to my questions might make it easier.
  • With the cable being just under 2" diameter what diameter does the PVC conduit have to be up to the LB fitting? Is 2 1/2" good enough? 4" seems like overkill.
  • We need to run the 3/0 into a transition box, then come out of the box with #3AWG because the 3/0 won't fit the panel.
If I can't tame this configuration down a bit, maybe we'll just buy some ACWU with #3AWG copper.
@tinkering Three 3/0 aluminum is it in a jacket of some kind please don’t use an LB, you will wish you wouldn’t have done that use 12x12x6 PVC box rated for out door use you can easily use a 2 inch conduit and like me I have been Known to cut the jacket off and just used the wires. Good luck

Using a 6X6 box is WAAAAAY too small for 3/0, it would be like stuffing 20 pounds of poop in a 5 pound bag, while I like Polaris connectors because they are simple & clean, they are not cheap, but split bolts (Kearnys) are not cheap either & they still have to be insulated, unlike Polaris connectors.
I looked into the Polaris connectors. Amazon has them for not that much more that split bolts sometimes sell for, I think. Polaris connectors are the way I will go in the future.
[automerge]1570652061[/automerge]
I looked into the Polaris connectors. Amazon has them for not that much more than split bolts sometimes sell for, I think. Polaris connectors are the way I will go in the future.
It looks like Polaris connectors might use less box space than split bolts too.
[automerge]1570652715[/automerge]
@tinkering Three 3/0 aluminum is it in a jacket of some kind please don’t use an LB, you will wish you wouldn’t have done that use 12x12x6 PVC box rated for out door use you can easily use a 2 inch conduit and like me I have been Known to cut the jacket off and just used the wires. Good luck
Would maybe even a slightly smaller box than 12x12x6 be enough with the space saved by using the Polaris connectors??
Thanks for the insight on cutting the armor back. The wires will be inside the 2" pvc stand pipe, so they could run up into the transition box without the armor but would it be required that the armor be bonded at both ends?

Last edited:

Reply to Running Cable to Garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock