Discuss running CAT 6 , splitting or multiple cables in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
HI all,

in my house i want to run as much CAT6 everywhere as i can, i have a old cabinet with 24 way strip in so im putting that in the garage, i wanted 6 upstairs for each bedroom and ubiquity on the landing.

trouble is i can only get two up the cavity and its a nightmare to get any others up there

can i put a switch up in the loft and go to each bedroom off that. i assume i can but whats the difference between ruining to each bedroom separate(from the cabinet in the garage) and runing one up to the loft and off from that.

hope you know what i mean, not all up onto this stuff, but getting asked more and more for it.

Cheers
Grand

HI all,

in my house i want to run as much CAT6 everywhere as i can, i have a old cabinet with 24 way strip in so im putting that in the garage, i wanted 6 upstairs for each bedroom and ubiquity on the landing.

trouble is i can only get two up the cavity and its a nightmare to get any others up there

can i put a switch up in the loft and go to each bedroom off that. i assume i can but whats the difference between ruining to each bedroom separate(from the cabinet in the garage) and runing one up to the loft and off from that.

hope you know what i mean, not all up onto this stuff, but getting asked more and more for it.

Cheers
Grand

Absolutely, you could put a switch and small wall mount rack up in the loft. I would run 2 cables from garage to loft. You can configure some switches to load share the data between 2 cables if you have a lot of traffic on network. But for MOst domestic stuff, 1 cable would be fine.
Then from loft switch, you can feed down to all your upstairs data points.
Remember to add a power socket in loft near where all the network cables are coming up.

The difference is that with one cable and a switch you can only share network traffic.
With multiple cables you can use them for other things - eg HDMI over Cat5e/6.

For network only, thete is another factor that with a switch, devices will be sharing the single drop to gthe he garage, while with multiple cables they'll each have full bandwisth to the main switch. This matters a lot in some commercial environments, but you'd be hard pressed to hit this limitation in most homes.

Reply to running CAT 6 , splitting or multiple cables in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net