Discuss Running Coffee Machine off Generator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Jimbob

DIY
Reaction score
Hi
I run a mobile coffee hut and have just bought a new coffee machine and new 7.5 KW Generator.
The coffee machine is on 13 amp plug but requires 32 amp feed. I used it on weekend on 16 amp feed off Genny. My question is can I connect machine direct to Genny (ie not through hits fuse box) and if so would I need to have a breaker in the lead ?
I was going to put 32 amp Genny plug on one end normal 3 pin female on other and thought it would work. Also would I leave 13 amp fuse in plug or larger ?

Thanks in advance
Jimbob

Bit above my pay grade I’m afraid would it be safe to do away with the plug and just put a 30 amp breaker in if it was connected directly to Genny ?
No it wouldn’t.

The 13A fuse is there to protect the flex as well as the appliance.
If the there was a fault and your machine drew 20A or something for a while, the flex would melt before your 32A breaker tripped.

Leave the 13A plug in place

Do you have a manual or photos of the machine?
Who/where indicated it needs a 32A supply? This contradicts it being fitted with a 13A plugtop.
We often supply power to coffee stalls and always allow a 16A socket, 99% of the time with a 16A/13A adaptor.
As @littlespark indicates above, the 13A fuse is there to protect the flex, so do not alter this arrangement.

Do you have a manual or photos of the machine?
Who/where indicated it needs a 32A supply? This contradicts it being fitted with a 13A plugtop.
We often supply power to coffee stalls and always allow a 16A socket, 99% of the time with a 16A/13A adaptor.
As @littlespark indicates above, the 13A fuse is there to protect the flex, so do not alter this arrangement.

Hopefully attached. It says requires hard wiring but mine has a plug on it. Flex is heavy duty.
Thanks for the reply.

Running Coffee Machine off Generator 05484BCC-C228-4AAB-BB83-AA88151CA885 - EletriciansForums.net

3600W/230V=15.6A, therefore it should have a 16A connector, typically an IEC60309 'ceeform' type.
I imagine it's wired in 2.5mm2 flex.
Who put the 13A plugtop on it?
Whilst it will work, the flex is up to the job and you're unlikely to blow a 13A fuse, it's certainly not a good idea to be overloading the 13A plugtop by 20%, this and possibly the socket is the weak link.

3600W/230V=15.6A, therefore it should have a 16A connector, typically an IEC60309 'ceeform' type.
I imagine it's wired in 2.5mm2 flex.
Who put the 13A plugtop on it?
Whilst it will work, the flex is up to the job and you're unlikely to blow a 13A fuse, it's certainly not a good idea to be overloading the 13A plugtop by 20%, this and possibly the socket is the weak link.

I think it was the chap who had it before me who put plug on but he had problems and had to sell it 4 months after purchase for a huge loss so not able to find out too much. Feel so bad for him.
I’ll probably have to find out who he bought it off and ask some history but don’t want to include him as he probably just wants to forget whole episode.

@Jimbob - as you are running the machine off your generator, just ask someone competent to fit a 16A ceeform plug to it. I imagine you have a 16A outlet on your generator panel, or are using with a small 32A distro with some 16A outlets.

One other tip - ignore any council, fairground or market inspector that tells you cables must be blue to be safe to use outdoors. You want to be using HO7RN-F (tough rubber sheath) cable from your generator.

The information you’ve given us now makes a lot of difference. The 13A plug should never have been fitted.

The advice given later is correct about fitting a 16A plug.

You should think about getting an electrician involved if you have other appliances.
Is your set up portable in the sense that you will be needing plugs and sockets?
The electrician could build you a distribution box with all sockets you need.
16A for the machines and 13A for tills, fridges etc?

The information you’ve given us now makes a lot of difference. The 13A plug should never have been fitted.

The advice given later is correct about fitting a 16A plug.

You should think about getting an electrician involved if you have other appliances.
Is your set up portable in the sense that you will be needing plugs and sockets?
The electrician could build you a distribution box with all sockets you need.
16A for the machines and 13A for tills, fridges etc?

I wouldnt trust the average electrician to build a suitable distribution box, it needs to be someone who has knowledge of what is acceptable for this kind of use.
We see a lot of attempts at distribution equipment that we feel obliged to refuse to supply power for.

Im assuming there's some form of distribution board already in the OP's coffee hut.
It may just need a couple of 16A added to it.

We're not all rough as badgers, @davesparks

Reply to Running Coffee Machine off Generator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock