Discuss Running conduit, attic in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

fogger22

Hi

I am fitting conduit in my attic room ready for when i get it rewired so i can plaster up and have a finished room for the time being. I won't be running any wire.

I have 2 x 20mm going up to a 35mm deep knockout where a dimmer switch will be located for a 3-way switch rig. Out of the top runs 20mm conduit up the wall and then along the ceiling line (it follows safe zone rules) up to the ridge.

What i am unsure of is if i can use this same conduit to run the cable through for the smokes, the reason is the cable for the smokes will run through the knockout (and not terminte/join in it). My concerns are whether that is fine for part p and if so is a 35mm box deep enough for the cable and a dimmer? I would just run conduit up for the smoke detector, but there are no direct/easy safe zones for the vertical run without going through the rafters (which are boarded already), which is why i am hoping it can be passed through the knockout to meet the 'horizontal or vertical from a fitting' criterea.

An electrician will be connecting and feeding the wire, which is why i am using 20mm round, i am just fitting the conduit and doing the channels so i can get the attic room plastered and save some money. I need a liveable room for the time being as it is a full refurb and wont be ready for the rewire until summer, so i cant employ anyone sooner (so no advice) and i cant put off the plastering (living in a bare brick house is depressing).

I am also wandering if i can find a simpler way to route the conduit from the top of the switch to the ceiling, a way that will be less twisty (assuming it might be tricky to feed the cable now i want smokes AND a light running through it). I used 90 degree bends to get around the purlin and was going to feed a line in it so the leccy could pull the cable through but it might be a PITA. I am unsure if i can run vertical from the side exit on the knockout (shown in yellow on the pic). I don't really want to move the knockout box, it is put in the best place to reach it from where the bed will be.

wall 1.png

I have found an electrician that is fine with me doing the channels and conduit (i have experience labouring for electricians) so he can feed the wires but it is up to me to me to make sure i get the conduit right and i dont want to be having to relocate anything or run extra conduit in after i plaster.
Cheers.

Simple answer is to get the sparky to run the cables before you plaster. Thats how the vast majority of us do it!

Simple answer is to get the sparky to run the cables before you plaster. Thats how the vast majority of us do it!

Indeed it is the simple answer, but not the possible one. Like i say i just aint willing to spend another 6+ months in a bare brick shell before i can get the electrician in. The novelty has passed i need a decent room. I don't have fat wads of cash kicking around, plastering is cheap and i can do that myself so it won't delay getting the wiring, but i cant bring it forward :)

I appreciate any help, but tbh i asked this on another forum and all i got was this response and no actual advice. I kinda already know the correct order, this aint my first 'refurb party', but the situation is what it is and i need a room for now. Obviously it would be good if i could avoid having to knock more chases in down the line if the answer can be given but it has to be this order. Even if i have to smash holes left right and center in 6 months it is getting plastered. :)

Indeed it is the simple answer, but not the possible one. Like i say i just aint willing to spend another 6+ months in a bare brick shell before i can get the electrician in. The novelty has passed i need a decent room. I don't have fat wads of cash kicking around, plastering is cheap and i can do that myself so it won't delay getting the wiring, but i cant bring it forward :)

I appreciate any help, but tbh i asked this on another forum and all i got was this response and no actual advice. I kinda already know the correct order, this aint my first 'refurb party', but the situation is what it is and i need a room for now. Obviously it would be good if i could avoid having to knock more chases in down the line if the answer can be given :)

Matey, don't talk crxp.

I have work booked out for about 2 weeks, then after that its first come first served - so pick up the phone and make a couple of calls or post your location and see if anyone on here is avaiable?

Thats assuming you are actually planning on getting a spark in.

With all due respect, i am not talking crap. I cannot magic money out of my --- that i do not have yet.

"Please be reminded that if your reply can't help the original poster, it may be seen as pointless and taking the thread off topic. Please make sure what you are about to post is in-keeping with the forum rules, specifically the "be nice" rule. Just be nice and helpful (even to new members) or don't reply at all please. Also note that we urge all members, regular or new, to report any posts that are off-topic, pointless or offensive."

If you cant keep to the rules,, be polite or or actually help, don't speak. Your just assuming it is based of me not being able to find a sparky, it is a money issue (you could have asked instead of being rude). I have not been living in a brick shell for the giggles.

murdoch is right though. how much do you think a spark would charge for just pulling the cables in ready? not going to break the bank, is it?

With all due respect, i am not talking crap. I cannot magic money out of my --- that i do not have yet.

"Please be reminded that if your reply can't help the original poster, it may be seen as pointless and taking the thread off topic. Please make sure what you are about to post is in-keeping with the forum rules, specifically the "be nice" rule. Just be nice and helpful (even to new members) or don't reply at all please. Also note that we urge all members, regular or new, to report any posts that are off-topic, pointless or offensive."

If you cant keep to the rules,, be polite or or actually help, don't speak.

You've had your response and now you are getting shirty and throwing your teddies out of the pram.

You have admitted you have already had the same advice off another forum so time to accept the advice and move on. Simples

Am i really going to have to pull in a moderator on my first post?

It will cost me 1600 quid for the rewire, Money i do not have. The issue is cash flow, i wont have 1600 until summer. Bags of plaster are cheap, so if i fit the conduit now correctly i dont have to also redo the plaster..

I am not being shirty, it is the rules of this forum, i am asking perfectly reasonable question and being told i am 'talking cra*' based on incorrect assumptions. I just dont want it derailing, it would be nice to get an answer is all :)

The responses don't answer my question :)

Honestly, i aint trying to ruffle feathers,, just get an answer to the question i asked :)

you're missing the point. get your spark to install the cables, it's only a couple of hours or so, and just pay for the cable and that labour time. you would be well advised to use the same spark as will be doing to rest, when you are ready.

Well the spark i spoke to said to fit the conduit, tale a photo and then call him. I just didnt want to call him back for something i figured a forum of professionals could answer in one paragraph. For the effort put in already i could have had an answer. :)

It will cost me 1600 quid for the rewire, Money i do not have. The issue is cash flow, i wont have 1600 until summer. Bags of plaster are cheap, so if i fit the conduit now correctly i dont have to also redo the plaster..

Now that is complete rubbish.

Your OP only eluded to wiring the sockets, lights and smokes in your loft!

All very well mate if it all goes according to plan, but what if it isn't right you could be spending more money putting right the cock ups

All very well mate if it all goes according to plan, but what if it isn't right you could be spending more money putting right the cock ups

That is a risk i am willing to take.

If it is wrong i knock a channel out and fill it. Costs less than a tenner. The rest definitly conforms and wont be a problem for the spark to feed wire through.

If it costs me a around a tenner for a cock up to have a decent living space for the next 6 moths then that is money well spent.

Sure there is a risk, but i had hoped by asking that would be minimised. I mean that is what forums are for right?

Yknow, because having a spark feed a 4m section of cable through 20mm conduit is so ludicrous.

EDIT posts that this was responding to have gone.

Last edited by a moderator:

**REMOVED** Sorry had to be said.

**Quoted post removed**

Yes it did

**rant removed**

Take a look at yourselves..

As tell says just get your electrician to do just that bit . Will be cheaper and when he comes back he will know what has happened

Reply to Running conduit, attic in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net