Discuss Running power to my shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm fairly novice at electrics, but know the basics and realise what will happen and how to prevent blowing myself up.

I'm hoping to run power to my shed at the bottom of the garden which will require around 35 - 40 meters of cable. We bought our house 2 years ago and there evidently used to be an electric shower installed because there is a fairly thick cable in the cupboard through the wall left on a joining block. I'm hoping to attach on to that and run a cable out to the shed. This means that It's potentially still live, and it should be directly fused.

Can I:
A) Attach a thinner cable onto that to run out to the shed? If so, what thickness should I make it? (I hope to run LED lights, some basic power tools and maybe a heater for the winter.
B) Run cable up to 40 meters?
C) Run a cable under the bath tub. This is the best / easiest route for the cable. I'll put it inside PVC trunking then probably PVC trunk it along the fence cross sections outside to save me digging anything up.

I guess these answers will all be on the forum if I really looked but I'm just about to pop out now and had hoped that one of you kind people would have an answer for me getting back!

Many thanks in advance.
James

Was just thinking earlier that we havent had a electric to shed question on her for a while.... and like clockwork.....
1) you mean they have electricity in Glasgow? I though the national grid stopped at Hadrian's wall!
2) call a local electrician, even if you dig and bury the swa cable yourself it might save money but the cable sizing, loads etc need somebody who knows what they are doing.

You needed Jesus, he could have converted the water in to booze cutting out the middle man.

Love it ... simple few innocent questions turns into blatant racism and stereotyping.

I’ll look for another DIY forum I think.

Thanks to those who actually gave advice.

Reply to Running power to my shed in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net