• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Running SWA underground

Discuss Running SWA underground in the Solar PV Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

synergy power

I'm running about 20m of 6mm SWA underground, does anyone have the regulations for doing this?

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
18" deep, surround with sand, warning tape at 12" deep, cable suitable considering load and volt drop, better in ducting if possible.

yellowvanman

Electrician's Arms
Here we go again!

Regs doesn't specify a minimum depth except on farms, in caravan sites and marinas! Its a depth you think is suitable to prevent damage.

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
was thinking of worst scenario, without details of the exact circumstances. obviously, in certain situations, the depth can be less.

S

synergy power

Cable route is under a footpath and garden, No heavy use going on above... I was just going to lay the cable about 10-15 inches deep and then lay electrical cable tape above?

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
Cable route is under a footpath and garden, No heavy use going on above... I was just going to lay the cable about 10-15 inches deep and then lay electrical cable tape above?
N

under garden.how deep is a spade thrust? i would go with at least 15" with tape at 10" ( thereabouts.). make sure cable is bedded on sand with sand on top, at least 4" top and bottom. you don't want nasty sharp stones piercing the sheath, do you?

G

Guest112

teles right definately use sand under and over the cable and the tape of course

needasparks

Electrician's Arms
Ask the sparks whos making it off would be best. If its underground is outside, if its a new supply also both need registering unless of course this is not from a domestic supply.

SPARTYKUS

Electrician's Arms
Not sure but i think "double digging" (two spades' depth) is an important consideration in gardens.

E

Earthstore

Have you ever hit a cable that some lazy sod has not burried deep enough, because I have..
It was in a garden, and I hit it with a fork, fortunatly I knew what I had hit, but someone else might not have been so lucky.
Oh and the lazy sod was the MEB, and they wanted to charge me for the repair...
It just so happened that my brother worked for the SEB, and he told me what I should do about it.
It does not matter where it is, just bury the thing deep enough...

Last edited by a moderator:

johnboy6083

Band Member
Electrician's Arms
Dont forget to derate the cable too. 0.9 rings a bell, but check chapter 6 of the red OSG (don't know the green one yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Official Sponsors

Electrician Talk

Please enable / Bitte aktiviere JavaScript!
Veuillez activer / Por favor activa el Javascript![ ? ]