Discuss Running wires from upstairs down to the CU in the under stairs cupboard in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

dp3

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi All, I have a bit of a dilemma I need to get 4x 2.5mm T&E cables down from the landing into my kitchen cupboard and then into the under stairs cupboard where the CU is

I am aware of the safe zones that are 150mm from ceiling and internal corners but does this apply to a slope or curve as in the picture below?

IMG_20150917_195150.jpg

Would there be an issue with running cables down the wall (the green line in the pic below) in boxing or trunking and into the under stairs cupboard?

cables.jpg

All sockets and switches in the pic will be removed and air vent in wall and doorway behind the door that is open will also be bricked up and this cupboard then removed, leaving just a small bulkhead roughly level with the top of the door frame)

Hope this makes some sense and any advise/criticism is welcomed :)

If the cables are in trunking then they do not need to be in safe zones, the trunking is the indicator that there are cables there.
Boxing is slightly more controversial.

The 150mm from ceiling and corner safe zones are less well used and even more unknown about than the usual so if the cables were buried in the wall this probably would not be ideal, but I believe it would still comply with the requirements.

Okay that sounds fine, i think i will be using some trunking - iirc the cables in the trunking still need to be protected with a 30mA RCD as they aren't 50mm from the surface and not in steel conduit/capping?

What are the 4 cables for?

May be a silly question but does your CU have a RCD?

At the moment no, but it will be getting replaced shortly with a 10 way split dual rcd board so i am putting the wiring into place ready for the swap over.

So if you are not connecting the circuit until the new CU is fitted then you don't have a problem.

So if you are not connecting the circuit until the new CU is fitted then you don't have a problem.

Sorry, i don't understand? In my original post i was asking where the best place would be to run cables to get them down into the cupboard ready for connection to the CU, therefore i need to run the cables in now so when the CU is swapped they can just be connected straight in. Or have i missed the point?

Sorry dp3. I should have made my post more clear.
You asked if the circuits should have RCD protection. You stated in post 7 "i am putting the wiring into place ready for the swap over. " which I took as the cables will be put in place but not connected up to the CU until the new CU is fitted.

I took as the cables will be put in place but not connected up to the CU until the new CU is fitted.

Thats right but i was just making sure that they will be ran in the correct place.

With regards to the RCD i was asking if they still need to be protected by one if they are in trunking - i assume they do as they will not be buried into a chase ?

I would be checking the finer details with the sparky doing the CU change

Reply to Running wires from upstairs down to the CU in the under stairs cupboard in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net