Discuss Ryobi One+ Power tools? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Razzmond

Hello all,

Due to the fact I only work as a subbie for wages (as a mate) I need to purchase my own hand tools, power tools and so on from my wages.

I've noticed the Ryobi range of One+ Li-Ions and they do seem to have good reviews on the sites that sell them.

Just wondering if anyone here has used them, or even owns them and thoughts on whether they would be a good starting point for a proper set of power tools.

Currently only have my hand tools and a DeWalt Combi drill. Made the mistake of ordering a Bosch SDS-Quick from Amazon in their sale. :frown:

I've had a ryobi 18v SDS cordless for 4 years its totally brilliant this morning it was drilling happily 32mm holes in breeze block and then a 12mm hole thru a step witm a 1m bit. It gets daily use, batteries are dying a bit now

A mate of mine uses Ryobi battery gear and has a high turnover of tools. I think he has killed 5 drills in about 7 or 8 years. It is very cheap stuff so is not too bad on the wallet to replace, but when it's every year or so it becomes a false economy in the long run.
It's DIY gear really and not suitable for the workplace.

If you are looking for a good starting point for a set of tools that will last you through the years, then look for deals on decent brands with a long warranty. I would personally go for Milwaukee or Makita.

A mate of mine uses Ryobi battery gear and has a high turnover of tools. I think he has killed 5 drills in about 7 or 8 years. It is very cheap stuff so is not too bad on the wallet to replace, but when it's every year or so it becomes a false economy in the long run.

If you are looking for a good starting point for a set of tools that will last you through the years, then look for deals on decent brands with a long warranty. I would personally go for Milwaukee or Makita.
What a total load of crap you r talking m8. Ryobi is in the top 3 selling pro gear in Australia. I have a friend in Aus who has 84 people working for him all kitted out with Ryobi he swears by them they fit garage and security doors.
Total tool snobery. I have makita gear and imo its a load of poo compared to the Ryobi

What a total load of crap you r talking m8. Ryobi is in the top 3 selling pro gear in Australia. I have a friend in Aus who has 84 people working for him all kitted out with Ryobi he swears by them they fit garage and security doors.
Total tool snobery. I have makita gear and imo its a load of poo compared to the Ryobi

Not tool snobbery at all or total crap. I am giving my opinion that is all.
I have used Ryobi battery gear on and off working alongside this mate of mine for a number of years now. My opinion is based on personal experience alone and not on anyone else's reviews.

I also know of a large tree surgery firm who uses the cheapest chainsaws going. They won't use anything else because they are cheap to replace and they don't trust the lads to take care of the best gear available.
Just because your mate kits out his workforce with ryobi does not automatically mean it's the best gear on the market now does it ? Other factors come into play. It may be suited very well to his line of work, more so than daily electrical installation work upon which my own opinions have been formed.

Here are those opinions based on a few years of direct experience.

cons

• I have found the gearboxes on the drills suffer from jamming and burn out in a very short time.
  • I have found the Li-Ion batteries fade after about 12 months and their usage time is drastically reduced.
  • Not built to last.

pros
  • cheap to replace
  • plenty of power whilst new and working especially the combi drills.

Take it or leave it. In my experience and opinion the Ryobi one plus range has all the hallmarks of every DIY range of battery tools I have ever used.

Like i said tool snobs . What matters is if you do the job correct If your putting a hole in the wall as long as its a hole I don't think the client cares what you use . I cant really believe that your client will know the difference between a worx and a Milwaukee...... get a life . Lesson one all you Electrical Trainee that are getting a slagging on here buy yourself so named tools then people like rompling will think your the Dogs an as for your client they will be totally convince.

i have a 18v cordless, bit older and bigger model. 4 years use and still going.
got 2.4 and 1.4ah lithium batteries and they still ok.
i dont use it for hundreds of big holes in wood, got a mains drill for that.
(and that is what kills drills quickest way)

got a 18v fluorescent torch from the older range and is great.
4 hours runtime, you can comfortably work on a distribution board using one.

Makita or Milwaukee are out of my price range for the mo sadly. Hopefully that will change at some point soon.

I must admit I do like the Makita kit though. MY bosses kit is pretty much all Makita and it seems reliable enough.

On the other hand my DeWalt has taken a battering and hasn't shown any effects in terms of performance. DeWalt is still more expensive then Ryobi but I don't want kit that won't last as you rightfully say, would be a false economy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate you see someone with those and think DIY Dave ( 1st impressions count ) !!
And 9/10 I'm right - just saying

Everyones got their own opinion. Ive seen blokes with that Titan stuff from screwfix and it seems to hold its own. The big brands simply arent in my price range as Im buying tools from my own money not my businesses money for example.

No argument here petal ;)

Don't get me wrong I'm not not totally down on Ryobi. Like I said, the combi drills have plenty of power and they are a good cheap tool whilst they are in good condition. I just wouldn't personally choose to build a full kit from the range, which was your original question. I think you'll be left constantly replacing items when you thought you had your kit built up.

You go with what you can afford and I appreciate that just as much as anyone. I suppose the biggest cost factor is if you want a large lump of tools at once or if you can slowly build up your kit, buying when you can afford it.

Whichever brand you go for, look up internet deals for every purchase, and research the range so you know roughly what you are going to be paying in the future for add on tools. Don't go for deals that palm you off with tiny batteries though. You want decent sized Li-Ions (3 Ah minimum) and they will last all day.

I have used Ryobi tools in the past (borrowed from work mates) and i believe they are good tools, but not if youre using them everyday in the trade.

They are definately more designed for DIY or use around the house as they dont stand up to constant use.

You will be much better off going with Makita, only Makita tools i have a problem with is their small grinders (switches stick).

Theres no point in investing in tools that aren't going to keep up with you, its just going to cost you money to replace them and time wastage having to go replace them/fix them.

Makita or Milwaukee are out of my price range for the mo sadly. Hopefully that will change at some point soon.

I must admit I do like the Makita kit though. MY bosses kit is pretty much all Makita and it seems reliable enough.

On the other hand my DeWalt has taken a battering and hasn't shown any effects in terms of performance. DeWalt is still more expensive then Ryobi but I don't want kit that won't last as you rightfully say, would be a false economy.
my only gripe with dewalt is they like changing the batteries every couple generations

By cheap by twice. I use makita gear daily and it gets abused all day. It gets dropped and sometimes wet. It still does the job. I only expect a drill such as an 18volt Li-ion to last a couple if yrs along with the battery's. You get what you pay for, simple.

By cheap by twice. I use makita gear daily and it gets abused all day. It gets dropped and sometimes wet. It still does the job. I only expect a drill such as an 18volt Li-ion to last a couple if yrs along with the battery's. You get what you pay for, simple.
the main benerfit for the makita gear is.

when the chuck goes, put it away and buy another for £75 inc vat.

when one has a gearbox fail etc put chuck on old drill and back to work

Like i said tool snobs . What matters is if you do the job correct If your putting a hole in the wall as long as its a hole I don't think the client cares what you use . I cant really believe that your client will know the difference between a worx and a Milwaukee...... get a life . Lesson one all you Electrical Trainee that are getting a slagging on here buy yourself so named tools then people like rompling will think your the Dogs an as for your client they will be totally convince.

I was doing an extention 'tuther week and the kitchen fitter pulled out a worx 240v multi tool.

I thought "hmmm crap tool, could be a cowboy"
I was right, he cut an 1.5" thick worktop down with it and then disappeared, the job was supposed to be complete the tuesday before Christmas..... they haven't been back yet.

Although decent tools doesn't mean decent workman, cheap tools tends to imply the opposite! You can call it tool snobbery but to be honest its more from site experience than anything!

Reply to Ryobi One+ Power tools? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net